1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Average Energy

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    I'm having some difficulties with a problem. Based on the constraints, I have found that the average energy per particle is u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE)). I know this is correct. However, I am having problems solving as T approaches 0 and infinity. B = 1/T
    It tells me the average energy is about u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE) as t approaches 0, and u = (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(delataE)^2 as T approaches infinity. I was able to easily get the first term in these expressions, but how the second term is coming out I have no idea. I was trying taking a derivitive for a while, but I don't believe that that is the way to go. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    Would you, please, describe the physical problem you're trying to solve?

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3

kdv

It's considered bad ethis to double post. You already started a thread with that excat same question, why not pursue the thread there? I already gave you pointers there. You have to show some of your work before people will help. I did tell you that the answer they give for the large T limit is correct and gave you a hint. Now show the first few steps that you try and if you are stuck I can point out what the next step is or if you made a mistake I can tell you what the mistake is. But show your attempt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?