Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Statistical Average Energy

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    I'm having some difficulties with a problem. Based on the constraints, I have found that the average energy per particle is u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE)). I know this is correct. However, I am having problems solving as T approaches 0 and infinity. B = 1/T
    It tells me the average energy is about u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE) as t approaches 0, and u = (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(delataE)^2 as T approaches infinity. I was able to easily get the first term in these expressions, but how the second term is coming out I have no idea. I was trying taking a derivitive for a while, but I don't believe that that is the way to go. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    Would you, please, describe the physical problem you're trying to solve?

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3

kdv

It's considered bad ethis to double post. You already started a thread with that excat same question, why not pursue the thread there? I already gave you pointers there. You have to show some of your work before people will help. I did tell you that the answer they give for the large T limit is correct and gave you a hint. Now show the first few steps that you try and if you are stuck I can point out what the next step is or if you made a mistake I can tell you what the mistake is. But show your attempt.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook