How to Solve for Average Energy as T Approaches 0 and Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with solving a problem involving the average energy per particle as T approaches 0 and infinity. The expression for average energy is given by u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE)), and the first term for the large T limit is u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE). The second term is (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(deltaE)^2, but the speaker is unsure of how this term is derived. They have tried taking a derivative but believe it may not be the correct approach. They are seeking ideas and help with solving the
sarahger9
I'm having some difficulties with a problem. Based on the constraints, I have found that the average energy per particle is u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE)). I know this is correct. However, I am having problems solving as T approaches 0 and infinity. B = 1/T
It tells me the average energy is about u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE) as t approaches 0, and u = (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(delataE)^2 as T approaches infinity. I was able to easily get the first term in these expressions, but how the second term is coming out I have no idea. I was trying taking a derivitive for a while, but I don't believe that that is the way to go. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you, please, describe the physical problem you're trying to solve?

sarahger9 said:
I'm having some difficulties with a problem. Based on the constraints, I have found that the average energy per particle is u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE)). I know this is correct. However, I am having problems solving as T approaches 0 and infinity. B = 1/T
It tells me the average energy is about u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE) as t approaches 0, and u = (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(delataE)^2 as T approaches infinity. I was able to easily get the first term in these expressions, but how the second term is coming out I have no idea. I was trying taking a derivitive for a while, but I don't believe that that is the way to go. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

It's considered bad ethis to double post. You already started a thread with that excat same question, why not pursue the thread there? I already gave you pointers there. You have to show some of your work before people will help. I did tell you that the answer they give for the large T limit is correct and gave you a hint. Now show the first few steps that you try and if you are stuck I can point out what the next step is or if you made a mistake I can tell you what the mistake is. But show your attempt.

1. What is statistical average energy?

Statistical average energy refers to the average amount of energy possessed by a system, calculated by summing the energy of each individual component and dividing by the total number of components. It is used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of large systems with many particles.

2. How is statistical average energy different from other types of averages?

Statistical average energy takes into account the distribution of energy among the components of a system, rather than just the total amount of energy. Other types of averages, such as the arithmetic mean, do not consider the individual components and their varying levels of energy.

3. How is statistical average energy calculated?

Statistical average energy is calculated by summing the energy of each component in a system and dividing by the total number of components. This can be done using different statistical methods, such as the Boltzmann distribution or the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, depending on the type of system being studied.

4. Why is statistical average energy important in science?

Statistical average energy is important in science because it allows us to understand the behavior of large systems with many particles, such as gases and liquids. It also helps us make predictions about the properties and behavior of these systems, which is crucial in fields such as thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

5. How does temperature affect statistical average energy?

Temperature is directly related to the statistical average energy of a system. As temperature increases, the average energy of the components also increases. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system, and kinetic energy is a component of total energy.