• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Statistical investigation (Is my answer true and I need your help in another question

• Thread starter LAYAN-2008
  • Start date
This questions aims for you to carry out and report on a statistical investigation and interpret the results.

A teacher at the university claims that the longer a student study for a test, the better his/her grade will be in the test. You are asked by the teacher to investigate this claim.

(a) Classify the problem as one of summarizing, comparing or looking for relationships. [2]
looking for relationships
(b) Pose a precise question to investigate the teacher’s claim. [2]

Is there any relation between number of hours of study and grade ??

The table below shows the number of hours studied for a test and the grade scored in the test for 10 students.
Study Hours 4 6 1 8 9 11 4 7 8 3
Grade 55 72 25 87 94 79 65 71 78 48

(c) Use a method of your choice to analyze the data above, as part of your investigation.
This should include a graphical representation of the data. [3]

(d) Does your analysis support the teacher’s claim? Explain your answer briefly. [3]

(e) Can the results of this investigation be generalized to all students at the university?
Explain your answer. [2]

Answers and Replies

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This questions aims for you to carry out and report on a statistical investigation and interpret the results.

A teacher at the university claims that the longer a student study for a test, the better his/her grade will be in the test. You are asked by the teacher to investigate this claim.

(a) Classify the problem as one of summarizing, comparing or looking for relationships. [2]
looking for relationships
(b) Pose a precise question to investigate the teacher’s claim. [2]

Is there any relation between number of hours of study and grade ??
Looks good so far. What do you think about the other questions?