1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical investigation (Is my answer true and I need your help in another question

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    This questions aims for you to carry out and report on a statistical investigation and interpret the results.

A teacher at the university claims that the longer a student study for a test, the better his/her grade will be in the test. You are asked by the teacher to investigate this claim.

(a) Classify the problem as one of summarizing, comparing or looking for relationships. [2]
    looking for relationships
    (b) Pose a precise question to investigate the teacher’s claim. [2]

Is there any relation between number of hours of study and grade ??

The table below shows the number of hours studied for a test and the grade scored in the test for 10 students.
    Study Hours 4 6 1 8 9 11 4 7 8 3
    Grade 55 72 25 87 94 79 65 71 78 48

(c) Use a method of your choice to analyze the data above, as part of your investigation.
    This should include a graphical representation of the data. [3]

(d) Does your analysis support the teacher’s claim? Explain your answer briefly. [3]

(e) Can the results of this investigation be generalized to all students at the university?
    Explain your answer. [2]
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good so far. What do you think about the other questions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?