1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics 6.1

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] statistical mechanics 6.1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Phy...0E63135-AD4E-4F76-9917-349D5439ABF4/0/ps6.pdf
    The answer to Problem 1 part c is 2N. I disagree. I think it should be N because if you specify the z component of the system then you know both of the macroscopic quantities M and E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2
    anyone?

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you specify only the z component, you have lost information about the number of equivalent states that would give the same M and E. This is key stat mech information. There is only one state with z = [itex]\mu[/itex], but many with z = 0.5[itex]\mu[/itex], and you need to differentiate them. Providing another distance coordinate (or alternatively, an angle) accomplishes this.

Looking at it another way: two variables are sufficient to describe a line's orientation. With N lines/dipoles, you need 2N variables to describe all the states.

5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    What line are you talking about?

6. Mar 13, 2008 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A dipole is like a line segment, in that rotation around the axis of its length is undetectable and does not constitute a degree of freedom.

7. Mar 13, 2008 #6
    I don't understand. What "key stat mech information" can you not get if you have all of the z components. If you have all of the z-components, then you know M, E, and can calculate [itex]\Omega[/itex] with the given equation. What else do you want?

8. Mar 13, 2008 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want the number of possible microstates that would result in those macrostate values of M and E. This is the fundamental idea of stat mech: We want to know the probability distribution of microstates that are compatible with our macrostate constraints.

This doesn't seem to be sinking in, so let's go back to the original question: "How many microscopic variables are necessary to completely specify the state of the system?" You give me a z value for each of the N dipoles. But you can't quit there. You haven't completely specified the microstate yet, since the dipoles can rotate in three dimensions and I don't know any of the x values.

9. Mar 13, 2008 #8
    I understand that you cannot completely specify the microstate of the system by providing only the z components. It is clear that there are 2N variables needed to specify the microstate of the system.

I think I see the flaw in my thinking now. By "state" in the question they really mean "microscopic state" not "thermodynamic/macroscopic state". Specifying only the z components of the system WILL determine the thermodynamic/macroscopic state of the system by the equations they provide, however, the microscopic state will still be ambiguous. Please confirm that this is correct.

10. Mar 14, 2008 #9

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?