1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics, confused about an approximation and limits of integration

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I tried to solve a problem on my own and then I looked up a solution on the web, and I realize that it seems that I goofed. The problem statement can be found at http://www.hep.fsu.edu/~reina/courses/2012-2013/phy5524/homework/solutions/hw5_sol.pdf [Broken] (Problem 1, part a).

2. Relevant equations
    Partition function and Helmholt free energy expressions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    O
    n page 2 of the document, it is written that ##Z_1(T,V)=C\int d \vec R d\vec r \exp \left ( - \frac{\beta K |\vec r|^2}{2} \right )## so far so good. Despite having only 1 "integral sign", it's really 6 integrals to perform.
    Now according to the solution on the web, ##Z_1(T,V)=C V \left ( \frac{2\pi kT}{K} \right )^{3/2}##.
    It means that the solution considers that the triple integral with ##d\vec R## is equal to the volume of the container of the gas, where ##\vec R =\frac{\vec r_1 +\vec r_2}{2}##; I still have to digest this.
    But what really annoys me is the other triple integral, namely ##\int d\vec r \exp \left ( - \frac{\beta K |\vec r|^2}{2} \right )=\left ( \frac{2\pi kT}{K} \right )^{3/2}##
    Where ##\vec r =\vec r_1-\vec r_2##. The result the solution provide implies that the limits of integration are negative and positive infinity... On my draft I considered a cubic box of lengths ##V^{1/3}## so that the result of that triple integral contained the error function (erf).
    And I do not see any argument as to why I could assume that the limits of integrations can be considered as infinite. Is it because the lengths of the sides of the box are huge compared to ##|\vec r|##?
    Ah no... it must be that the integrand is almost 0 for small values of r and onward... okay... and so the approximation is valid. Is this correct?

The other problem I have with the solution given is when they obtain the Helmholtz free energy as ##F\approx NkT \{ \ln (N) -1 -\ln [Z_1(T,V)] \}## and they just sit on that value.
    But since N is enormous, isn't better to reduce F to approximately ##NkT \{ \ln (N) -\ln [Z_1(T,V)] \}##?
    Why do they keep the "1"... is it because it's multiplied by NkT ? Still that doesn't make sense to me... it's ridiculous small compared to the natural logarithm of N...

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted