Statistical mechanics - density of states

In summary, Reif's book discusses the number of states available to a system at a certain energy, and a proof of this lemma is provided in many textbooks on statistical mechanics. The "a priori probability" theorem in quantum statistical mechanics is derived from the Von Neumann equation.
ehudhaim
Hi,
I'm studying statistical mechanics from Reif's book.
In his book Reif is reaching the conclusion that the number of states avaiable to a system at energy E (up to some small uncertainty in the energy due to finite observation) with f degrees of freedom is proportional to E^f .
There is a "not so much" of a proof of this lemma in his book, he assumes many things in that so called proof.
could anyone please refer me to an exact proof?
By the way, I did an introductionary course in qunatum physics so feel about free to refer me to formal proofs.

Another small question: Does the "a-priori probability" theorem in quantum statistical mechanics comes directly from Von Neumann's equation? Or do I have to postulate something else?

Thank you very much for helping. I am sorry for my bad english.
Ehud.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof of Reif's lemma can be found in many textbooks on statistical mechanics. A good reference is the book "Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulations" by David Chandler, which provides a rigorous proof of the lemma. The "a priori probability" theorem in quantum statistical mechanics is derived from the Von Neumann equation, which describes how an isolated quantum system evolves in time. This equation provides the basis for deriving the Boltzmann distribution, which gives the probability of a system being in a particular state given its energy.

1. What is the definition of density of states in statistical mechanics?

The density of states in statistical mechanics is a measure of the number of available states per unit energy in a system. It is a fundamental concept that helps determine the thermodynamic properties of a system and is often used to calculate the probabilities of different states in a system.

2. How is the density of states related to entropy?

The density of states and entropy are closely related in statistical mechanics. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, and the density of states determines the number of possible microstates that a system can have, which is directly related to its entropy.

3. How does the density of states change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the density of states also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more energy states become available for particles to occupy, leading to a greater number of possible microstates and a higher density of states.

4. What is the significance of the density of states in phase transitions?

The density of states plays a crucial role in understanding phase transitions in a system. It helps determine the critical temperature at which a phase transition occurs and provides insights into the behavior of the system at different temperatures.

5. How is the density of states calculated for a given system?

The density of states is calculated by considering the energy levels and corresponding probabilities of a system. It can be calculated analytically for simple systems, but for more complex systems, it may require numerical methods or approximations.