1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics, ideal gas, Helmholtz FE and chem. pot.

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to solve a problem but I am confused on what's going on with an approximation.
    I have to find the pressure in function of V, T and N of an ideal gas using the partition function, then obtain the chemical potential in function of T, p and N and I must graph it in function of T. I'm having trouble with the chemical potential.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]C^N=h^{3N}N![/itex] because the particles that make up the gas are indistinguishable.
    Partition function: ##Z_N(T,V)=\frac{1}{C^N} \int _\Gamma dx_1dy_1dz_1...dx_Ndy_Ndz_Ndp1_xdp1_ydp1_z...dpN_xdpN_ydpN_z \exp \left ( -\beta \sum _{i=1}^N \frac{pi_x^2+pi_y^2+pi_z^2}{2m} \right )##
    Helmholtz free energy: ##A=-kT\ln (Z_N(T,V))##.
    Pressure: ##p=-\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial V} \right ) _{T,N}##
    Chem. potential: ##\mu (T,V,N)=\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial N} \right ) _{(T,V)}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the relevant equations I calculated ##A(T,V,N)=-kT\ln \left ( \frac{V}{C^N} \left ( \frac{2\pi m}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right )## which gave me the famous ##P=\frac{kNT}{V}## so there are chances that I got the Helmholtz free energy right.
    Now the problem begins for the chem. potential.
    In order to calculate mu, I want to express A in terms of N explicitely. I got ##A(T,V,N)=-kNT \{ \ln \left [ V \left ( \frac{2m \pi}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right ] -\ln (h^3) - \frac{1}{N}\ln (N!) \}##
    I must derivate this with respect to N so I guess it is convenient to use Stirling's approximation. If so, I get ##\mu (T,V,N) \approx -k T - \{ kT \ln \left [ \frac{V}{h^3N} \left ( \frac{2m \pi}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right ] -\frac{kT}{N} \}##. And here is where I'm desperate. Since N is enormous I get a non sensical result (natural logarithm of 0).
    So I don't know if I did something wrong somewhere... Maybe there was no need to use Stirling's approximation? Hmm.
    Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted