Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics (multiplicity/accesbile microstates question)

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    I am trying to show that the change in number of accessible microstates, and therefore the change in the multiplicity function [itex]g[/itex] of a simple system is

[tex] g=\left( \frac{\tau_F^2}{\tau_1\tau_2}\right)^{\frac{mC_V}{k_B}}[/tex]

where the system is two identical copper blocks at fundamental temperatures [itex]\tau_1, \tau_2[/itex] brought into equilibrium through thermal contact, both with mass [itex]m[/itex] and heat capacity [itex]C_V[/itex]. I've calculated the final temperature through

[tex]\Delta U = C_V(\tau_F-\tau_1)=C_V(\tau_2-\tau_F) \quad \Rightarrow \quad \tau_F=\frac{1}{2}(\tau_1+\tau_2)[/tex]

I tried then to use that (with [itex]\sigma=\log g[/itex] as entropy)

[tex] \Delta \sigma = \left(\frac{\partial \sigma_1}{\partial U_1}\right)(\Delta U_1) + \left( \frac{\partial \sigma_2}{\partial U_2}\right)(-\Delta U_2)[/tex]

But with this I get a result of

[tex]\Delta \sigma = \log g = 2C_V\left(\frac{\tau_F^2}{\tau_1\tau_2}-1\right)[/tex]

But raising this with an exponential to find the change in [itex]g[/itex] would obviously not give me the desired result. Any help on where I'm going wrong with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted