1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics Textbook

1. Jun 17, 2016 #1
    Hi,

Although I'll be taking a course on statistical mechanics next term, I'm looking to work through the details of statistical mechanics on my own in the summer. Which textbook would one recommended. I have heard that Schrdoder's and Kerson Huang's books are good.

Any suggestions? And how do the aforementioned books compare?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2016 #2
    Kerson Huang is good but many graduate departments do not use it and tend to use Pathria and Beale which is also very good. Huang and Pathria/Beale are both definitely graduate level. I do not have Schroeder but I believe this one is more upper level undergraduate level. I have heard Huang treats the Ising model in depth, but I have never studied that section.

4. Jun 17, 2016 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted