1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    This shouldn't be too hard but I'm struggling.

Consider N identical particles in a box of volume V. The relation between their linear momentum and kinetic energy is given by [tex]E = c\left|\overrightarrow{p}\right|[/tex], where c is the speed of light. So, the Hamiltonian of the system is

[tex]H_N\left(\overrightarrow{q_1},\,\cdots,\overrightarrow{q_N},\overrightarrow{p_1},\,\cdots,\overrightarrow{p_N}\right) = c \sum_{i = 1}^N \left|p_i\right|[/tex]
    Now, I'm trying to find the average energy of the system. So, I need to get Z:

[tex]Z = \int \exp\left(-\beta \cdot c \cdot \sum_i \left|p_i\right|\right) d\overrightarrow{q_1}\cdots d\overrightarrow{q_N} d\overrightarrow{p_1}\cdots d\overrightarrow{p_N} = V^{N} \cdot \left(\int \exp\left(-\beta \cdot c \cdot \left|\overrightarrow{p}\right|\right) d\overrightarrow{p}\right)^N[/tex]

Now, I've got two questions:

1) Is there any mistake in the calculations for Z above?
    2) How to evaluate the integral?? :blushing:

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2
    Does nobody have a clue?:confused:

4. May 25, 2006 #3
    You can solve the integral quite easily by transforming to spherical coordinates (r,\theta, \phi). So the integral becomes:

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-\beta r} r^2\sin{\theta} dr d\theta d\phi = 4\pi \int_0^{\infty} r^2 e^{-\beta r}dr[/tex]

I think you can now solve the rest on your own :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?