1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    Consider an ideal gas of oxygen atoms in equilibrium with oxygen atoms absorbed on a planar surface. here are N_s sites per unit surface area at which the atoms can be absorbed, and the energy of an absorbed atom is -e compared to one in the free state. The system is under 1 atm and at 300K.

Should the atoms be described by classical statistics or quantum statistics? I need to show this qualitatively and here's what I have:

[tex]\frac{1}{e^{(\epsilon-\mu)/kT} \pm 1}[/tex]
    In the classical limit, [itex]\epsilon-\mu>>kT[/tex]

But we do not know what e is, or mu. Not sure where to go from here, any hints physics forums?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Your equation encompasses both Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics because you have a +/- sign in there. Look up both Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics to find out the differences.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Exactly, since quantum statistics becomes Boltzmann maxwell statistics at the classical limit, so I have the +/- for generality. Thus, regardless of a BE or FD distribution, taking the classical limit will give back classical stat.

Now, the question is, do I use classical statmech or quantum statmech for this problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook