1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    [itex]\Omega[/itex]^(0)(E) = [itex]\Omega[/itex](E)[itex]\Omega[/itex](E^(0) - E),

a) Write this equation in terms of entropy

b)Taylor series expand this resulting equation to 2nd order in the individual energies.Use the fact that the subsystems are in equilibrium with a total xed energy to simplify the resulting expression.

c) How can you show the resulting expression for problem b that the variance of (E) is proportional to N, the number of particles in the system.

The way I approached this question was...

a) I know that Helmholtz free energy is A = U - TS, where U= (E), the total energy and S is the entropy, than A = E - TS, therefore S=-kTlnZ, however how can I apply when E^(0) is the total energy of the two subsystems. In other words how can I mathematically solve this problem?

b) I assumed subsystem A has some mean energy E about which there are fluctuations. Therefore since the macroscopic state of maximal entropy for the system is the one where all micro-states are equally likely to occur, with probability 1 / [itex]\Omega[/itex](E), during the system's fluctuations, so S is equal kln ([itex]\Omega[/itex](E)). Am I right? how can I compute this?

c) No clue. So far I could establish that the fluctuations
    from equilibrium, of the number of accessible states scales could be 1/[itex]\sqrt{}N[/itex].
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?