Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical physics

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    Hi.
    I need some useful and conceptual book in advanced statistical physics.
    I can understand the mathematics in some famous book such as Pathria, but I have trouble understanding some concepts in that area.
    Any suggestion?!!!

Thanks in advance.
    Somy

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I find that the book "Statistical Mechanics" by Ma is quite good for developing some intuition at a more advanced level. The book focuses on "foundations" in the sense that it has a lot of chapters talking about the basic assumptions of statistical physics, the "derivation" of thermodynamics, and so on. Also, Ma's book on critical phenomenon is quite good as well, and that book has a nice discussion at its beginning of the different kinds of approaches one can take to describing a system and the relationships between them.

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like Reif - it's full of the good stuff. :approve: But it may or may not fall under the description of "advanced" depending on your background.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huang is a good text. Also Landau and Lif**** is very good also.

I also like Reif as already mentioned, if you are not going into Statistical Physics for an advanced degree it might be all you need although the farther I get in my career, the more I need to know to get my work done ( more like both volumes of Landaus' stat physics books).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  6. Feb 12, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's Lifsh!tz :approve:

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6
    I read a book named :Statistical Mechanics:An Introduction; by Trevena.
    I really enjoyed the approch of it. It had some really interesting approches to build the distributions.
    I really advise it. But not as the complete book you need!!!
    Somy:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?