1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical physics

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] statistical physics

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on number 3 part a.
    I am trying to calculate C_P.
    From the first law of thermodynamics: [itex]dQ = dU -dW = dU +PdV[/itex] (does anyone know how to write the inexact differential d in latex?).
    And we know that [itex]C_p \equiv \frac{dQ}{dT}_P[/itex]. But I don't see how to get an explicit expression for dQ. Should I expand dU and dV in terms of the other independent variables or what? What variables should I choose to be independent?

EDIT: I actually need help with Problem 4 also. I can integrate (dS/dA)_T w.r.t A and get that
    [tex]S(A,T) = -\frac{NkT}{A-b}+\frac{aN^2}{A^2} +f(T)[/tex] but then I have no idea how to find f(T)!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A good definition for [itex]c_P[/itex] is

[tex]c_P=\frac{1}{N}\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P=\frac{1}{N}\left[\frac{\partial (U+PV)}{\partial T}\right]_P[/tex]

Recall that for an ideal gas [itex]dU=Nc_V\,dT[/itex].

Once you find [itex]c_P[/itex] you should be able to integrate your equation for [itex]\delta Q[/itex] as

[tex]Q=\int Nc_P\,dT[/tex]
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding your second question: try inverting [itex]\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \mathcal{S}}\right)_A[/itex] and using

[tex]d\mathcal{S}=\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{S}}{dT}\right)_A dT+\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{S}}{dA}\right)_T dA[/tex]
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    Is it in general true that

[tex]1/\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \mathcal{S}}\right)_A = \left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{S}}{\partial T} \right)_A[/tex]

6. Mar 12, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my experience, it always works in thermodynamics. Outside engineering it may be risky. Mathematicians, want to weigh in?
  7. Mar 12, 2008 #6
    Yes, it would really help me if a mathematician posted exactly when that is true.
  8. Mar 13, 2008 #7
  9. Apr 5, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume that notation means you're "Treating S (resp. T) as a function of A and T (resp. S), and differentiating, holding A as constant"?

Or more precisely, S, T, and A are functions of your state [itex]\xi[/itex], and you have a relationship

[tex]S(\xi) = f( T(\xi), A(\xi) )[/tex]

and you're interested in [itex]f_1(T(\xi), A(\xi))[/itex], the partial derivative of this function with respect to the first place, evaluated at [itex](T(\xi), A(\xi)[/itex]?

Well, for any particular value of A, this is just ordinary, one variable calculus -- let [itex]f_a[/itex] denote the function defined by [itex]f_a(x) = f(x, a)[/itex]. If [itex]f_a[/itex] is invertible, then it's easy to find a relationship: just differentiate the identity [itex]x = f_a( f_a^{-1}(x))[/itex].

For a more geometric flavor, if restricting to a subspace where A is constant means that the differentials dS and dT are proportional (i.e. dS = f dT for some f), then it's just a matter of algebra to express dT in terms of dS where possible.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  10. Apr 6, 2008 #9
    So it is in general true (as long as we assume differentiability of the function and its inverse and do not divide by 0)! Yay!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?