Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Statistical physiics Problem 5.5

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Physics/8-044Spring-2004/85482B93-6A5E-4E2F-ABD2-E34AC245396C/0/ps5.pdf [Broken]

I am stuck on Problem 5 part a. They say that the relevant state variables are H,M,T, and U. Obviously the first law of thermodynamics still holds: dU = dW+dQ (does anyone know how to make inexact differentials in latex)? But does dW = -PdV here? P and V were not among the state variables they talked about so does that really make sense? How do I proceed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2
    anyone?

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]dW=H\,dM[/itex] and [itex]U=TS+MH[/itex]. Work terms always consist of a generalized force (an intensive quantity) and a generalized displacement (an extensive quantity). Examples: force x distance, magnetic field x magnetization, electric field x polarization, surface energy x area, stress x strain, etc.

In this problem [itex]P\,dV[/itex] work is evidently assumed to be negligible compared to [itex]M\,dH[/itex] work. You can tell because the problem states that there are only two independent variables (recall our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1645661#post1645661").

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    OK, I see why [itex]dU = \delta Q +HdM[/itex]. But why is U = TS+MH true? I am trying to express [itex]C_M \equiv \left(\frac{\delta Q}{dT} \right)_M[/tex] as a derivative of the internal energy. Can you give me a hint how to do that?

6. Mar 14, 2008 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what you've written, it looks like you can conclude that [itex]
    C_M \equiv \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_M
    [/itex].

In general, [itex]
    U=TS-PV+\sum\mu_i N_i +FL+ MH+EP+\gamma A+\sigma V\epsilon\dots
    [/itex] where the terms represent the work terms I listed above. This is called the Euler form of the fundamental relation, if you want to find more information about it. Callen's Thermodynamics is a good reference.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook