1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical test

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I am hoping someone can recommend a useful statistical test. I have a set of data on an x-y plot which varies about the y=0 line in a seemingly random way. Each data point has a y error bar, which appears to be, in general, smaller than the standard deviation of the data.

I would like to apply a rigorous statistical test to calculate the probability that for the given individual one-sigma errors on each data point, the observed scatter about the y=0 line is plausible, or whether there is evidence for some kind of oscillation pattern?

A null hypothesis test was my first thought but this does not take into account the individual errors bars on the data points. Also I have noticed that many mathematicians don't hold the the null-hypothesis in much respect, nor does it offer a probability of the data points being randomly spread.

Thanks for any advise.

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2
    It sounds like you're looking for a p-value, which is associated with null hypothesis testing. I would first use a computer and calculate the line of best fit through the data points. Let's call this line y = f(x). Then, your null hypothesis can be: "The equation which best models this phenomenon (or whatever it is) is f(x)." Your alternative hypothesis can be: "No. It's not."

Then for all the data points (X1,Y1).... (Xn,Yn), calculate ((Yi - f(Xi))^2)/(f(Xi)) for all i = 1, 2, 3....n. Add the numbers from these calculations up and that would give you a chi-square statistic. Using a table or calculator, you can find the p-value corresponding to this score. The p-value, or the probability of observing this data given the equation y = f(x) is the true model for this phenomenon.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?