Statistical Test for X-Y Data with Error Bars

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a statistical test to determine the probability of a random scatter of data points around the y=0 line or the presence of an oscillation pattern. The suggestion is to use a p-value calculation, with a null hypothesis of the data points following a line of best fit and an alternative hypothesis of the data points not following the line. The p-value can then be used to determine the likelihood of the data points following the line or not.
natski
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can recommend a useful statistical test. I have a set of data on an x-y plot which varies about the y=0 line in a seemingly random way. Each data point has a y error bar, which appears to be, in general, smaller than the standard deviation of the data.

I would like to apply a rigorous statistical test to calculate the probability that for the given individual one-sigma errors on each data point, the observed scatter about the y=0 line is plausible, or whether there is evidence for some kind of oscillation pattern?

A null hypothesis test was my first thought but this does not take into account the individual errors bars on the data points. Also I have noticed that many mathematicians don't hold the the null-hypothesis in much respect, nor does it offer a probability of the data points being randomly spread.

Thanks for any advise.

Natski

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're looking for a p-value, which is associated with null hypothesis testing. I would first use a computer and calculate the line of best fit through the data points. Let's call this line y = f(x). Then, your null hypothesis can be: "The equation which best models this phenomenon (or whatever it is) is f(x)." Your alternative hypothesis can be: "No. It's not."

Then for all the data points (X1,Y1)... (Xn,Yn), calculate ((Yi - f(Xi))^2)/(f(Xi)) for all i = 1, 2, 3...n. Add the numbers from these calculations up and that would give you a chi-square statistic. Using a table or calculator, you can find the p-value corresponding to this score. The p-value, or the probability of observing this data given the equation y = f(x) is the true model for this phenomenon.

Hope this helps.

What is the purpose of using error bars in statistical tests for X-Y data?

The purpose of error bars in statistical tests for X-Y data is to visually represent the uncertainty or variability in the data. They provide a range of values around the mean or central point of the data, indicating the potential error in the measurement or estimation of the data. This helps to assess the reliability of the results and make more accurate conclusions.

How are error bars calculated for X-Y data?

The calculation of error bars for X-Y data depends on the type of data and the statistical test being used. Generally, error bars can be calculated using standard deviation, standard error, confidence intervals, or the range of values. These calculations are based on the variability or spread of the data points.

What do overlapping error bars in X-Y data indicate?

Overlapping error bars in X-Y data indicate that there is no significant difference between the two sets of data being compared. This means that the difference between the means or central points of the data is not statistically significant and could be due to random chance or error. Overlapping error bars do not necessarily mean that the data is not important or meaningful, but that further analysis may be needed to draw conclusions.

Can error bars be used to compare multiple groups in X-Y data?

Yes, error bars can be used to compare multiple groups in X-Y data. In this case, the error bars for each group will be plotted side by side, and the differences between the groups can be visually assessed. However, it is important to consider the sample size and the type of statistical test being used to determine the significance of the differences between the groups.

Are there any limitations of using error bars in statistical tests for X-Y data?

Yes, there are some limitations to using error bars in statistical tests for X-Y data. Error bars only represent the variability in the data and do not take into account the accuracy of the measurements. They also do not provide information on the shape of the data distribution, and may not be suitable for non-normal or skewed data. Additionally, the interpretation of error bars can be subjective and may vary depending on the researcher's understanding and assumptions.