1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Tests

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone,

I can't remember which statistical tests are needed for the following two tests. I thought maybe the null hypothesis test but wanted to check on here first... Maybe something Bayesian?

Consider you have a plot of y against x with several data points on it, each with y error bars. I would like to calculate the probability that:

a) These points are randomly distributed

b) These points have the same y-value = constant, i.e. y is not a function of x.

Thanks for any advise.

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Describe "error bar."

For part b, my first approach would be to estimate the linear relationship y = a + b*x using least squares and show that b is not statistically significantly different from zero. But "y is not a function of x" is a very general statement; you may have to iterate with polynomial functions (of x), until you run out of data points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?