Statistical Thermo Grad Course: Advice on Math, Fuel Cell vs Solar?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's plan to take a statistical thermodynamics grad course in the upcoming fall semester. They are familiar with classical thermodynamics as an ME, but are seeking advice on what other topics they should focus on, specifically in mathematics and potential fields of specialization. The conversation also touches on the importance of knowing quantum mechanics and the differences between thermodynamics for engineers and physics. The speaker also mentions their excitement for the course and their admiration for the professor teaching it.
Topher925
I'm planning on taking a statistical thermodynamics grad course this Fall. Being an ME I am very familiar with classical thermo but what other topics should I be keen on? Any specific field of mathematics like abstract alg(only math I have not taken) I should be worried about?

Also, I am planning on specializing in fuel cell development or solar thermolic processes, I can't decide. Any insight on this decision and should I plan on taking a course in electrochemistry next semester as well? I'm going to a small school(read not high ranked) and they will let me take just about anything related to my field.

Physics news on Phys.org
advanced calculus and statistics, Knowing quantum would help also

Eh, Iv already taken all levels of those courses and know them fairly well. I do need to learn more about quantum though. Should I be looking at relative or non-relative quantum?

non-relavistic qm, don't worry about qm to much it only plays a small role in stat mech. Know your thermodynamics relationships really well.

Topher925 said:
I'm planning on taking a statistical thermodynamics grad course this Fall. Being an ME I am very familiar with classical thermo

Totally different.

But it doesn't matter, because the approach is fairly simple. All you have to be good at is algebra, calculus, some statistics (like one quarter's worth), thermo will help, and some good hand-waving skills are necessary. Most of the derivations just leave me going "Wait, what just happened?"

Knowing 1 quarter of QM is also good.

Besides that you'll be fine.

Do you know what book you'll be using?

Thanks for the advice. No, I don't know the text yet. But the professor that teaches it is fricken awesome. The course description says that a large part of the class is a review of thermodynamics. Is thermodynamics in physics really that different from thermo for engineers? I mean, the four laws are the four laws right?

thermodynamics is the same for everyone, but statistical thermodynamics is a whole different game. It can reduce to regular thermo, but it plays at a much, much lower level.

tmc said:
thermodynamics is the same for everyone

No, it is definitely NOT the same for everyone.

Thermo for engineers is drastically different than thermo for physics. Engineering thermo doesn't go into theory as much, but it's designed so that you can actually use it in a real setting. Physics thermodynamics is a joke in that regard, because you assume everything is perfect essentially.

1. What is statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. It is used to predict the thermodynamic properties of systems based on the behavior of individual particles.

2. How is statistical thermodynamics used in a graduate course?

In a graduate course on statistical thermodynamics, students will learn about various statistical models and methods used to analyze and predict the thermodynamic properties of systems. They will also learn how to apply these concepts to real-world problems in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

3. What is the role of math in a statistical thermodynamics course?

Math is an essential component of statistical thermodynamics as it provides the tools and techniques for analyzing and solving problems. Students will need to have a strong foundation in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to succeed in this course.

4. What are the differences between fuel cells and solar energy in terms of statistical thermodynamics?

Fuel cells and solar energy both involve the conversion of energy, but the mechanisms and processes are different. Fuel cells use chemical reactions to produce electricity, while solar energy relies on the conversion of sunlight into electricity. Therefore, the statistical thermodynamics principles and equations used to analyze these systems will also differ.

5. How can statistical thermodynamics be applied to the development of fuel cells and solar energy?

Statistical thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of fuel cells and solar energy systems. By using statistical models and equations, scientists can predict the performance and efficiency of these systems and make improvements to increase their effectiveness. Additionally, statistical thermodynamics can also be used to analyze the environmental impact and sustainability of these energy sources.