What is the Mean When Tossing a Dice Three Times?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the mean of three dice tosses is (2+4+5)/3 or (2+4+5)/6. The concept of weighting probabilities is also brought up, but ultimately it is determined that the answer is (2+4+5)/3.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I thought about this earlier today. Let's say I toss a dice three times, and the outcome is 2, 4 and 5. Is the mean (2+4+5)/3 or (2+4+5)/6?

The reason why I am asking is that we can look at the mean as a weighted average of the probability of getting each outcome. So in our case, the probability for getting {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} is the same, so that is why one might be inclined to say that the mean is (2+4+5)/6.

But then again, only 3 tosses has been made. So my question is:

1) Am I looking at two different things here?

2) If yes (which is probably the correct answer to #1), then is (2+4+5)/6 the expectation value (i.e. the average when tossing the dice infinitely many times), and (2+4+5)/3 the average of that sample?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I thought about this earlier today. Let's say I toss a dice three times, and the outcome is 2, 4 and 5. Is the mean (2+4+5)/3 or (2+4+5)/6?

The reason why I am asking is that we can look at the mean as a weighted average of the probability of getting each outcome. So in our case, the probability for getting {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} is the same, so that is why one might be inclined to say that the mean is (2+4+5)/6.
There is no need to "weight" here since the probabilities of rolling 2, 4, 5 with a single die ("dice" is the plural) are the same. If you did that, you have to take into account the fact that those are not the only possibilities. The probability of rolling one of 2, 4, or 5, as opposed to 1, 3, or 6, is 3/6= 1/2, You would have to find the "weighted" sum (1/6)(2)+ (1/6)(4)+ (1/6)(5) divided by 1/2 (the overall probability). That gives (2+4+5)/6 times 2= (2+4+5)/3.

But then again, only 3 tosses has been made. So my question is:

1) Am I looking at two different things here?
Not really, but you forgot that 1/6+ 1/6+ 1/6 is not 1: the total probability here is 1/2 not 1.

2) If yes (which is probably the correct answer to #1), then is (2+4+5)/6 the expectation value (i.e. the average when tossing the dice infinitely many times), and (2+4+5)/3 the average of that sample?
Done correctly either way, the answer is (2+4+5)/3.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Niles.

Thanks for helping.

What is the definition of "average" in statistics?

The average, also known as the mean, is a measure of central tendency in statistics. It is calculated by adding all the values in a dataset and dividing by the number of values.

How is the average affected by outliers in a dataset?

The average can be greatly affected by outliers, which are extreme values that are significantly different from the rest of the data. Outliers can skew the average and make it an inaccurate representation of the majority of the data.

What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean is the average value in a dataset, median is the middle value when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order, and mode is the most frequently occurring value.

How can the average be used to compare different datasets?

The average can be used to compare different datasets by providing a single value that represents the overall trend or pattern in the data. It allows for a quick and easy comparison between datasets.

Can the average be affected by the sample size?

Yes, the average can be affected by the sample size. Generally, a larger sample size will result in a more accurate average, as it takes into account a larger portion of the data. A smaller sample size may not be representative of the entire population and can lead to a less accurate average.