Statistics: Boxplot and confidence interval

In summary, it is difficult to determine the correctness of your attempt without more information and thorough evaluation.
Cyb3rGlitch

Homework Statement

I'm doing a past paper for my statistics course, and there's no provided solutions. I want to know if my attempt is correct. This is part of the paper:
Ky9dK.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Q0 = 1.06, Q1 = 1.335, Q2 = 2.04, Q3 = 2.275, Q4 = 2.64

ii) IQR = Q3 - Q1 = 0.94
IQR x 1.5 = 1.41
Outliers outside: [Q1 - 1.41, Q3 + 1.41] = [-0.075, 3.685]
Therefore no outliers.

iii) Skewed to the left

iv) 1.8810 ± 1.906 [(0.5239)/sqrt(20)]
= [1.6577, 2.1043]

v) Assumed it is a normal distribution.Apart from the missing boxplot, are these correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot confirm if your attempt is correct without seeing the full context of the problem and your calculations. It is also important to note that there may be multiple ways to approach a statistics problem and as long as your solution is logically sound and supported by evidence, it can be considered correct. I would recommend seeking guidance from your instructor or a tutor for a more accurate evaluation of your work. Additionally, it is always helpful to double-check your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy.

1. What is a boxplot and how is it used in statistics?

A boxplot is a graphical representation of data that displays the median, quartiles, and outliers of a dataset. It is used to summarize the distribution of numerical data and identify any potential outliers.

2. How do you interpret a boxplot?

The horizontal line in the middle of the box represents the median of the data. The lower and upper edges of the box represent the first and third quartiles, respectively. The whiskers extend from the edges of the box to the minimum and maximum values of the data, excluding any outliers. Outliers are represented as individual points beyond the whiskers.

3. What is the purpose of a confidence interval in statistics?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true value of a population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is used to estimate the true value of a population parameter based on a sample of data.

4. How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is calculated by taking a sample of data from a population and using a formula to determine the upper and lower bounds of the interval. The formula takes into account the sample mean, sample size, and a critical value based on the desired level of confidence.

5. What is the relationship between a boxplot and a confidence interval?

A boxplot can be used to visually represent a confidence interval. The horizontal line in the middle of the box represents the sample mean, and the whiskers can be extended to the upper and lower bounds of the confidence interval. This allows for a quick visual comparison of the data distribution and the estimated population parameter.