1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics - Expected Value

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have to work with Expected Values and I am extremely confused over the following:

In the part of my book that teaches me about Probability Distribution, in order to calculate the Expected Value I have to:

Lets say we toss a coin twice. We can get 0 Heads, 1 Heads or 2 Heads

I then draw a probability distribution table and the expected value is the sum of the product of the number of heads and their respective probabilities.

When I get to the part that I learn about Binomial Distributions, in order to get the expected value all I have to do is multiply n by p whereas n is the number of tries and p the probability of success.

What is the difference between the two methods? When should I use each?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

danago

Gold Member

The equation for the EV of a binomial distribution is derived from the exact same procedure the you have described (sum the product of the outcomes with their respective probabilities) i.e. if X~Bin(n,p), then:

[tex]E(X)=\sum_{x=0}^{n}xP(X=x)[/tex]

So for any n, you could in fact just draw up a table of outcomes and then continue with how you originally solved it, however that will be a lot more work for large n. It is probably a good exercise to try and actually derive the equation E(X)=np from the equation i have posted above, so you can see for yourself that they are identical.

EDIT:
    Have a look at this:

http://amath.colorado.edu/courses/4570/2007fall/HandOuts/binexp.pdf [Broken]

It will show you the derivation. Also keep in mind that this only works for binomial random variables.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook