1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: F-distribution

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the random variable X has a N(5,25) dsitribution and Y has a N(2,16) distribution and that X and Y are independent. Find a random variable F that is a function of both X and Y such that F has a F-distribution with parameters (1,2), i.e. F(1,2).

2. Relevant equations
    Definition: If X~chi square(n), Y~chi square(m), and X and Y are independent, then (X/n)/(Y/m)~F(n,m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does F=[(X-5)/5]^2 / {([(X-5)/5]^2 + [(Y-2)/4]^2])/2} work?
    The only trouble I am seeing is that (X-5)/5]^2 and [(X-5)/5]^2 + (Y-2)/4]^2] might not be independent. So are they independent? If so, how can I prove it? If not, what else can I do?

Any stat guy here?
    I appreciate for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2
    In other words, we know that if X and Y are independent, then g(X) and h(Y) are independent, but are a function of X (f1(X)) and a function of X and Y (f2(X,Y)always independent???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?