Recommendations for a Statistics Textbook in Astrophysics Research

In summary, Mario Triola recommends the following books for a beginner in statistics: "Elementary Statistics" by Edward T. C. Smith "Statistics for Describing, Exploring, and Comparing Data" by Ronald W. Fisher "Probability" by John W. Tukey "Normal Probability Distributions" by David W. Snedecor "Estimates and Sample Sizes" by William G. Cochran and James W. Cochran "Hypothesis Testing" by Ronald A. Fisher "Inferences from Two Samples" by Ronald A. Fisher "Correlation and Regression" by Reginald H. Jones

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Lightly don't Recommend

• Total voters
eri
I'm in my 4th+ year of grad school in physics, working in the field of astrophysics. I've never taken an actual statistics course, and I'm starting to see the need for one - at the moment, I get all my statistics knowledge from Numerical Recipes. I do a lot of traveling for my research, so I can't take a course on campus. Can anyone recommend a good statistics textbook? I mainly need to learn about statistical tests that can be done in data analysis and numerical models. I have some background, just not an actual course, so it doesn't have to be an undergrad-level book if a more advanced one would be more appropriate. Thanks for any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org

Code:
[B]Table of Contents:[/B]
[LIST]
[*]  Introduction to Statistics
[*] Summarizing and Graphing Data
[*]  Statistics for Describing, Exploring, and Comparing Data
[*]  Probability
[*]  Discrete Probability Distributions
[*] Normal Probability Distributions
[*]  Estimates and Sample Sizes
[*]  Hypothesis Testing
[*]  Inferences from Two Samples
[*]  Correlation and Regression
[*]  Goodness-of-Fit and Contingency Tables
[*]  Analysis of Variance
[*]  Nonparametric Statistics
[*]  Statistical Process Control
[*] Projects, Procedures, Perspectives
[*] Appendices
[LIST]
[*] Tables 
[*] Data Sets 
[*] Bibliography of Books and Web Sites
[*]  Answers to odd-numbered section exercises, plus answers to all end-of-chapter Statistical Literacy and Critical Thinking exercises, chapter Quick Quizzes, Review Exercises, and Cumulative Review Exercises
[/LIST]
[*] Credits
[*] Index
[/LIST]

Last edited:
If there were just one or two textbooks that would really prepare you in solving as many problems as possible from https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810200560/?tag=pfamazon01-20, preferably from scratch (if possible), what would they be & how closely do they follow the format of Lim's book? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
I am finishing up my sophomore year as a physics major. I have taken several mathematics courses over the passed two years, and have made great grades, but I don't feel I have the mathematical background I should. I have taken college algebra, trig, calculus 1 through 3, and statistics. I have made great grades so far, A's in all math classes and A's and B's in my science classes. Not to down grade my university, I have never been required a textbook in any of my mathematics classes. I just finished calculus based physics 1 and realized that I need to study math more.
So, what I am asking for are some recommendations on a good statistics textbook; something with more of a science background.

Also,
I have a couple of calculus textbooks already, Swokowski's and Thomas's. I see most of you prefer Spivak. Is there enough of a difference between the two calculus texts that I already have to justify buying Spivak?

1. What is statistics for astrophysics?

Statistics for astrophysics is a branch of statistics that is specifically applied to the study of astronomical data. It involves the use of mathematical and computational methods to analyze and interpret data from astronomical observations and experiments.

2. What are some common statistical methods used in astrophysics?

Some common statistical methods used in astrophysics include regression analysis, data smoothing, hypothesis testing, and Bayesian analysis. These methods help researchers to analyze and make predictions based on large and complex astronomical datasets.

3. Why is statistics important in astrophysics?

Statistics is important in astrophysics because it allows researchers to make sense of large and complex datasets, identify patterns and trends, and make accurate predictions about celestial objects and phenomena. It also helps to validate and refine theories and models in astrophysics.

4. How does statistics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Statistics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing a quantitative framework for analyzing and interpreting astronomical data. It helps researchers to identify important relationships and patterns in the data, which can lead to new discoveries and insights about the nature of our universe.

5. What are some challenges in using statistics for astrophysics?

Some challenges in using statistics for astrophysics include dealing with large and complex datasets, accounting for uncertainties and biases in the data, and choosing appropriate statistical methods for different types of astronomical data. It also requires collaboration between astronomers and statisticians to ensure accurate and meaningful results.