1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics for CS Problem

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose P(A) = .6, P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex] | B) = .4. Check whether events A and B are independent.

2. Relevant equations

Two events A and B are said to be independent if P(A|B) = P(A). This is equivalent to stating that P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) = P(A)P(B)

If A and B are any two events, then the conditional probability of A given B, denoted by P(A | B), is P(A | B) = [tex]\frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}[/tex] provided P(B) > 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex]) = 1 - P(A) = .4

However, I'm not sure how to use the information given to check for independence. The professor says the solution should be very brief, but it's not coming to me.

Thinking on it a little more and looking it up online, it would seem that if P(A|B) = P(A) means A and B are independent, but P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex]) != P(A), then A and B are dependent. But I'm not sure if this logic is correct.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You have P(A-complement | B) - it should be very simple to obtain P(A | B) from it.

Note: couldn't get the \bar{A} construct to work in Latex.
  4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    But that's my problem, how do I use that information to get P(A | B)?
  5. Sep 30, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

What do you get when you add P(A) to P(A-complement)? the same result works with P(A |B) and P(A-complement | B).
  6. Sep 30, 2010 #5
    I get 1. So P(A | B) + P(A-complement | B) = P(A|B) + .4 = 1... P(A | B) = .6?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook