What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate program in statistics?

In summary, the speaker is considering various graduate programs in statistics with strong GPA and GRE scores. They have a wide range of research interests and have already researched multiple schools, but are open to suggestions. The speaker is also trying to avoid schools on the west coast and would appreciate opinions on their current list of schools. Suggestions for additional schools to consider include Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan, and Stanford University. It is important to consider program strengths, location, and funding opportunities when making a decision.
PowerIso
Hey there, it's time for me to start thinking about which Graduate programs I should apply too. As you may infer, my major is in statistics from the University of Texas-Austin.

I suppose it's time to give you some background information. My GPA is around 3.60 and expected to keep on rising. For my general GRE I scored in the 98 percentile. I haven't taken the Math GRE, but it appears that a lot of Statistics programs do not require it. I do plan to take it though. I have given talks about my research every year since I was a freshman. I can expect a bare minimum of 3 very strong recommendations from my professors.

Research Interest:Consuming Behavior Model, Graph Mining, Fluid Flow Model, Extended Linear Models. I still have a lot of interest, but this list should give you a good idea on the type of work that interest me.

Anyway, here are the list of schools I'm currently considering.

Cornell
Purdue
University of Chicago
Duke
University of Illinois
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Rice University
Harvard
Ohio State
University of Missouri
Baylor

I'm trying to avoid schools on the west coast, because I have some obligations. Anything west of Nevada should be good!

Now, I've been trying to do as much research as I can about these schools, but there is only so much one person can do. I was hoping some of you can suggest more schools that you feel would be good for statistics or tell me which schools you think are better. I'm fully aware that "better" is such a relative term; however, it doesn't hurt to hear other people's opinion. I would also appreciate if you told me what you don't like about schools on my list.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It's great to hear that you are considering graduate programs in statistics. With your strong GPA and impressive GRE scores, you have a strong foundation for applying to top programs. It's also great that you have already been involved in research and have strong recommendations from your professors.

Based on your research interests, it seems like you have a wide range of interests in statistics, which is great. As for the list of schools you are considering, they all have strong statistics programs. However, I would recommend doing some more research on each of these programs to see which ones have strengths in the specific areas you are interested in. For example, some schools may have a stronger focus on graph mining or fluid flow models compared to others.

In addition to the schools you have listed, I would also suggest looking into programs at Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan, and Stanford University. These are all top universities with strong statistics programs. It's always a good idea to apply to a mix of reach, target, and safety schools to increase your chances of acceptance.

In terms of the schools on your list, some things to consider are the location and cost of living. For example, Harvard and University of Chicago are both located in major cities, which may have a higher cost of living compared to schools in smaller towns. Additionally, some schools may offer more funding opportunities for graduate students, so that may be something to consider as well.

Overall, it's important to do your research and find the best fit for you in terms of program strengths, location, and funding opportunities. Good luck with your applications!

I can understand the importance of choosing the right graduate program for your research interests and career goals. It's great to see that you have a strong academic background with a high GPA and a high GRE score. These are definitely important factors that graduate programs consider during the admissions process.

Based on your research interests, it seems like you have a diverse range of interests within statistics. It's important to find a program that aligns with your specific research interests and has faculty members who are conducting research in those areas. I would recommend looking into the faculty profiles and recent publications of the schools on your list to see if they have a strong presence in your areas of interest.

In terms of your list of schools, I can provide some general thoughts. Cornell, Purdue, and University of Chicago are all highly ranked programs in statistics and have strong research programs. Duke and University of Illinois also have reputable statistics programs. Rice University and Harvard are also top-ranked schools, but their statistics programs may not be as well-known as some of the others on your list. Ohio State and University of Missouri are also good options, but may not have as much name recognition in the field of statistics.

It's great that you have a preference for schools on the east coast, but I would also recommend considering schools in the midwest or east coast that have strong statistics programs. Some other schools to consider could be Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. These schools have highly ranked statistics programs and may have faculty members conducting research in your areas of interest.

Overall, my advice would be to continue researching and gathering information about the schools on your list. It would also be helpful to reach out to current graduate students or faculty members at these schools to get a better sense of the program and its strengths. Ultimately, the best program for you will depend on your specific research interests and career goals, so don't be afraid to reach out and ask questions to help you make an informed decision. Good luck with your applications!

1. What are the requirements for admission to a statistics graduate program?

Most statistics graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics or statistics. Some programs may also require a certain GPA, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. It is best to check with individual programs for specific admission requirements.

2. What types of courses are typically offered in a statistics graduate program?

Statistics graduate programs usually offer a combination of theoretical and applied courses, covering topics such as probability, regression analysis, experimental design, and data mining. Some programs may also offer courses in specialized areas, such as biostatistics or econometrics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to succeed in a statistics graduate program?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to have prior knowledge of advanced mathematics before entering a statistics graduate program. Many programs offer foundational courses in mathematics and statistics to prepare students for more advanced coursework.

4. Can I pursue a statistics graduate program online?

Yes, there are many statistics graduate programs that offer online or hybrid options for students. However, it is important to research the program thoroughly to ensure it is accredited and meets your academic and career goals.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of a statistics graduate program?

Statistics graduates are in high demand in various industries, including healthcare, finance, and technology. They can work as data analysts, statistical consultants, market researchers, and more. Many graduates also pursue further education and research opportunities in academia.