Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics of clinical trials

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    I've been thinking about when to correct for multiple comparisons, especially in the context of clinical trials.

Consider the following situations:

1. Company X-1 does a clinical trial on Compound A-1, and finds that it does in fact have clinical efficacy, with p value < 0.05.

2. Company X-1 does a clinical trial on 20 compounds, A-1 through A-20, and finds that one of them has clinical efficacy with p value < 0.05, and 19 don't (without correction for multiple comparisons).

3. Twenty companies, X-1 through X-20, independently discover and do clinical trials on 20 different compounds (X-i tests A-i, i = 1,...,20). One of the compounds turns out to demonstrate efficacy with p value < 0.05, 19 don't. (without correction for multiple comparisons).

So here's my question: in which of the above scenarios should we correct for multiple comparisons? Or asked another way: does the evidence support the use of none, some, or all of the above three drugs?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted