Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics of the Bermuda Triangle

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I've noticed that a few people say that what occurs in the Bermuda triangle is simple statistics; that for the amount of aircraft/boats that travel through there, the dissappearence and accident rates are not anything out of the normal. I couldn't find the information throughout the various threads on this article so i was wondering if someone can point me to a credible source that shows a statistical analysis of the Bermuda Triangle.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the most part, the statistics are no different for the BT than anywhere else. The argument is that a good number of unusual disappearances are the key. These are what really create the interest. The number of unusual disappearances is probably extremely small as compared to the total number of craft lost to bad weather or other known causes, so any statistical evidence would be buried in the noise. The evidence for anything unusual has to be considered on a case by case basis.

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Got any actual references I can use?

5. Oct 4, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean specific cases? There are plenty of links in the previous discussions.

6. Oct 4, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Oct 4, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a typical report
    http://www.coverups.com/bermuda.htm

8. Oct 4, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I mean are there any pages that show the # of disappearences vs. the # of ships/aircraft that go through there per year along with the same statistics for other parts of the world?

9. Oct 4, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People have looked at this and I am pretty sure that I've seen this information on the net, but I don't know exactly where to find it. For formal proof, the easiest place to look is at insurance companies. Lloyds of London, the worlds largest maritime insurer, charges no more for shipping in the BT than similar locations elsewhere. Perhaps you can get something from Lloyds. Also, you might check with the Coast Gaurd.

10. Oct 4, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Alright, thank you.

11. Oct 4, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here is an old thread about it. Bermuda Triangle Solved

"According to Lloyd's Records, 428 vessels have been reported missing throughout the world since 1955, and it may interest you to know that our intelligence service can find no evidence to support the claim that the Bermuda Triangle has more losses than elsewhere. This finding is upheld by the United States Coastguard whose computer based records of casualties in the Atlantic go back to 1958."

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/places/BermudaTriangle.htm

12. Oct 11, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I jsut googled "Bermuda triangle" and "lloyds of london" and this thread acme up on the first page!!!

13. Nov 27, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the stranger BT stories

This strange story just aired on the Sci Fi Channel's BT program.

http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/rare_form.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?