1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics pmf

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I know this isn't hard, but I have a block on it.
    Here's the question:
    Let [tex]f(x)=1/6, x=1,2,3,4,5,6[/tex] zero elsewhere be the pmf of a distribution of the discrete type. Show that the pmf of the smallest observation of a random sample of size 5 from this distribution is:
    [tex]g_1(y_1)=\left(\frac{7-y_1}{6}\right)^5-\left(\frac{6-y_1}{6}\right)^5,y_1=1,2,3,4,5,6[/tex]

I know I'm looking for the pmf of the minimum, which is the y_1, and I did this:
    [tex]P(Y_1=y_1)=P(Y_1\leq y_1)-P(Y_1<y_1)[/tex]
    I'm having trouble seeing why there's a 7 in the solution. I'm missing something.
    I know that wheneve I get the probabilities of each piece, they will be to the 5th power because there's 5 observations in the sample and we multiply the probabilities together. What the probabilities are is the part that has me confused.
    We've been focusing on continuous problems for so long I can't wrap my mind around this.
    Any hints or pointers will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?