What is the Probability and Risk Assessment for Motor Insurance Claims?

In summary, the conversation discusses a survey on 50 claims for a particular class of customers of a motor insurance company, finding that the average cost for car damage is £700 with a standard deviation of 400. The insurance manager believes that the average cost is actually £80 higher. The conversation then delves into hypothesis testing at a 5% significance level to determine if the manager is correct. In the second part, the conversation explores the use of normal approximation to the Poisson distribution to compute the probability of a group of 400 insured cars producing less than 10 claims per year and more than 20 claims per year. Finally, the conversation concludes with calculating the risk premium and value at risk for the insurer losses, taking into
Samantha24

Homework Statement

(a) A survey on 50 claims for a particular class of customers of a motor insurance company found out that the average cost for car damage is £700 with a standard deviation of 400. The insurance manager believes instead that the average cost is £80 bigger.

(i) Does the sample data suggest that the manager is right? Test at a 5% significance level the hypothesis that the average cost is £780. Specify: null hypothesis, alternative hypothesis, critical region and comment on the result of the test.

(b) For the same type of accidents, the number of claims per vehicle insured is known to follow a Poisson distribution with mean 0.03 per year. Using the normal approximation to the Poisson distribution, compute the probability that a group of 400 insured cars produces :

(i) Less than 10 claims per year.

(ii) More than 20 claims per year.

(c) Assuming the cost per claim is 780 with standard deviation of 400, claims’ frequency and portfolio’s size are as specified above:

(i) Compute the risk premium.

(ii) Compute the value at risk at 99.5% level for the Insurer losses.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) this is what I did;

H0 : m = 780
H1 : m = 700

From my test statistic I got 1.41. This is less than 1.96. So you don't reject null hypothesis. Also we can't conclude anything is statistically significant. Therefore, we can't tell if the manger is right or not.

For (b) I don't get what it means by Normal Approximation to the Poisson Distribution but this is what I did. Also I don't know if I should use the 5% significance level from before (If I did I could use the Poisson Table?).

(i)

P(X < 10) = P(0) + P(1) + .. + P(9)

To calculate each value I use: P(X)= (e^-m)*(m^x)/ x!

I don't know if I should be doing it like that or using the poisson table.. It doesn't seem to justify 4 marks..

(ii)

P(X > 20) = 1 - P(X < 20)

From here I use the same method as before but have many more values..? I'm sure there must be a short cut as for 4 marks each.. Seems like a lot of work.

Furthermore, what do I do with the 400? Does it just change my notation on my probabilities? I.e. P(X < 10, 400)?

For part (c)

(i)

RP = average cost per claim * probability of claims. So RP= 780*[the answer I get from (b)(ii)]

However, I don't know if my method of calculating in part (b)(ii) is correct, let alone (b)(i)..

Finally,

(ii) I'm completely lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for P(X < 10) is correct, but you need to say what "m" is in that expression (it is not necessarily the same as the previous "m"). By normal approximation to the Poisson we mean that under certain conditions, you can get quite good approximations to quantities like P(X < 10) by replacing the exact Poisson distribution by the normal distribution having the same mean and variance.

RGV

Yeah the m would be 0.03 there.

Does my part (a) seem correct? Since there are other ways to write the hypothesises?

No, m is NOT 0.03 in this question. You are not reading the question properly.

RGV

Oh.. m is 12..

What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data. It focuses on understanding and describing patterns and relationships in data. Probability, on the other hand, is the study of the likelihood of events occurring. It uses mathematical principles to assign numerical values to the likelihood of different outcomes.

How can I use statistics to make decisions?

Statistics can help you make decisions by providing objective and quantitative information. By analyzing data, you can identify patterns and trends that can inform your decisions. However, it is important to remember that statistics cannot guarantee the accuracy of predictions or decisions, as there is always a degree of uncertainty involved.

What is the importance of understanding probability in everyday life?

Probability is an important concept in everyday life as it helps us make decisions and understand the likelihood of events occurring. For example, understanding the probability of winning a game of chance can help you decide whether or not to play. In addition, probability is often used in fields such as insurance, finance, and sports to make predictions and inform decision making.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data, such as calculating measures of central tendency (e.g. mean, median, mode) and measures of variability (e.g. standard deviation, range). Inferential statistics, on the other hand, involves making predictions or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data. It involves using probability to estimate the likelihood of certain outcomes or relationships.

How can I improve my understanding of statistics and probability?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of statistics and probability, such as taking a course or reading textbooks on the subject, practicing with real-world data, and seeking help from a tutor or mentor. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, as statistics and probability heavily rely on mathematical principles. Additionally, staying up-to-date with current research and developments in the field can also enhance your understanding.