1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: Proofs and Problems for Random Variables and their Distributions

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Before I get started here I have one really quick basic question:

Lets say I want the probability that an survives two hours, and that the probability an engine will fail in any given hour is .02. Then I can get 1 - .02 - .98(.02) = .9604. This is found by a geometric distribution, 1 - the sum of q^1-1 p - q^2-1 p.

This got me thinking though, if I have (q)^2 = (1-p)^2 this gives me (.98)^2. Is this not equal to 1 - 2p + p^2? I feel like I'm forgetting something basic about order of operations but if I haven't plugged in p yet I don't see why this applies. Why can't I expand then solve rather than solve then expand (though strictly in this case I have nothing more to expand).

P(Y) = q (= 1-p)^Y-1 (p)

My other question is more interesting I suppose: Find E[Y(Y-1)] for a geometric random variable Y by finding the second derivative of the infinite sum (from 1 to infinity) of q^y. Use this result to find the variance. I have no idea where to begin on this question to be honest.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?