1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics question

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1
    I have some statistics on a test from my biology class and I was wondering if there is enough information provided by the stats to be able to calculate the average of the top 5% of scores. I have used a graph in mathematica to get a pretty good idea of what the top 5% average is, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on figuring this out. I've attached a jpg of the stats. Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

According to your graph you have 250 scores so the top "5%" would be the top 12.5 scores. The only information shown is that 5 are between 90 and 100 (actually, it also says "highest grade 90" so presumably all 5 of those are 90) and 44 are between 80 and 90. Obviously, then, the top 12 are between 80 and 90, probably averaging close to 90, but without more precise information nothing more can be said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?