1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics questions

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    My friend came up with some solutions but I have doubts about them and was wondering if someone could help a bit.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A committee of 4 people is randomly selected from 5 married couples. What is the probability that a husband and wife do not belong to that committee?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have All possible combinations = 4C10
    then, divided into groups / sets:
    P("all men"), P("3 men, 1 woman"), P("2 men, 2 women"), P("1 man, 3 women"), P("all women").

Then P(final answer) = [P("all men") + P("3 men, 1 woman") + P("2 men, 2 women") + P("1 man, 3 women") + P("all women")] / All possible combinations

My question, or more specifically, the part I am confused about is this: what stops a couple from being on the committee? Please explain this answer, I don't quite get it.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a single-sex committee you cannot have H&W team. But, with the other combinations, there may be a situation where a couple is included, or not. For example, if the committee has 3 men & 1 woman, there is a probability that one of the 3 men will be the woman's husband. Your formula does not reflect that probability.

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    Hey

Okay, so here is the solution to this problem I have come up with:

P("all men") = (5, 4)
    P("3 men, 1 woman") = (5, 3)(2, 1)
    P("2 men, 2 women") = (5, 2)(3, 2)
    P("1 man, 3 women") = (5, 1)(4, 3)
    P("all women") = (5, 4)

And total possibilities: (10, 4)

Then, as I said above, P(final answer) = [P("all men") + P("3 men, 1 woman") + P("2 men, 2 women") + P("1 man, 3 women") + P("all women")] / All possible combinations

Please let me know if this makes sense / looks correct.

Thank you!
    Beth

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi Beth, you have split your people up wrong. You have 2 groups of 5 (5 men, 5 women), the right way to split them up is into 5 groups of 2 (the Smith's, the Wilson's, the Doe's, ...). For the purpose of this problem, what matters is which couple a given individual belongs to, not which gender.

-Dale

6. Sep 30, 2007 #5
    Hey

Would it be possible to give a bit more guidance? I don't quite understand this. I have 5 groups of two couples each. 1 person from the 2 in the group can be selected... so would it be something like:

(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1) / (10, 4)

Please help! Thanks
    Beth

7. Sep 30, 2007 #6
    Actually, I have another possibility I thought of.

Since P("husband and wife not being on the committee") = 1 - P("husband and wife on same committee").

There are 5 couples, ie, 5 sets of husband and wife, and (10, 4) total possibilities.
    Could P("husband and wife on same committee") = 5 / (10, 4) ?

Thanks!
    Beth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?