1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics, regression model, unbiased estimator help

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Professor E.Z.Stuff has decided that the least squares estimator is too much trouble. Noting that two points determine a line, Dr. Stuff chooses two points from a sample of size N and draws a line between them, calling the slope of this line the E.Z. estimator of beta1 in the simple regression model. Algebraically, if the two points are (x1, y1) and (x2, y2 ) , the E.Z. estimation rule is beta1=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

I need to show:
    (1) Show that beta1
    EZ is an unbiased estimator.
    To show this the lecturer said we need to calculate the mean: E(( beta0+beta1*xN+ epsilonN-(beta0 +beta1*x1+epsilon1))/(xN-x1), and this should be equal to beta1. How to do it?

(2) Find the probability distribution of beta1
    EZ .
    To show this we need to show that a*epsilonN + b*epsilon1~N(..,..) Normal distribution and calculate the mean value and the dispersion. But i don't know how.
    Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?