1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: sample median, means, s.d. vs sample size

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    i have a set containing 10000 data. i took 1000 samples of size 4, 16, 64, and 1024 and took the medians, means, and stadard deviations of each size. i graphed them sd of medians vs sample size, sd of mean vs sample size, and sd of s.d. vs sample size. for sample mean, i know from a text book that:
    SD of sample means = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
    But it seems from the graph i created using R, sd of medians and s.d. vs sample size all have the exact same looking graph, which to me suggests that:
    SD of sample means, medians, and s.d. = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
    Is this right? it seems a little awkward. any input will be very helpful. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is R?

More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    R is just a program language kind of like matlab.

"More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?"

This is exact what i'm asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?