Statistics summation question:

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a canonical partition function for a system and the simplification of a math-based question involving a constant. The equation in question is a sum that can be simplified using the formula (1 + b)^m. It is also noted that the sum can be rearranged to involve the hyperbolic function.
olechka722
This equation comes out of deriving the canonical partition function for some system. However, the question is more math based. I am having trouble understanding the simplification that was performed in the text:

∑ from N=0 to M of: (M!exp((M-2N)a))/(N!(M-N)!) supposedly becomes

exp(Ma)(1+exp(-2a))^M... I tried to look at the first few terms and see how I can simplify this, and no dice... Anyone have any ideas? a is just a constant.

Also, the next step is that the above becomes (2cosh(a))^M Which is great, except, huh? I'm more of a scientist than a math person, so I apologize if I am missing something elementary.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^m \frac{m!}{n!(m-n)!} 1^{(m-n)} b^n = (1 + b)^m
[/tex]

In your sum
[tex]
\exp\left((M-2N)a\right) = \exp\left(Ma\right) \cdot \left(\exp(-2a)\right)^N
[/tex]

so your sum is

[tex]
\sum_{N=0}^M {\frac{M!}{N!(M-N)!} \exp\left((M-2N)a\right)}
= e^{Ma} \sum_{N=0}^M {\frac{M!}{N!(M-N)!} \left(e^{-2a}\right)^N
= e^{Ma} \left(1 + e^{-2a}\right)^M
[/tex]

For the second one - look at the definition of the hyperbolic function as exponentials, and rearrange terms.

Thanks so much! That really clears things up.

What is a summation in statistics?

A summation in statistics is the process of adding together a set of numbers or values. It is often used to find the total or average of a group of data points.

Why is summation important in statistics?

Summation is important in statistics because it allows us to analyze and summarize large sets of data. It helps us understand the overall trend and variability of the data, and can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

What is the symbol for summation in statistics?

The symbol for summation in statistics is Σ (the Greek letter sigma). It represents the sum of a series of values or terms.

How do you calculate summation in statistics?

To calculate summation in statistics, you add up all the values in a set of data. This can be done manually by writing out each value and adding them together, or by using a calculator or spreadsheet software.

What is the difference between summation and integration in statistics?

Summation and integration are both mathematical operations that involve adding together values. However, summation is used for discrete data, where the values are distinct and separate, while integration is used for continuous data, where the values are infinitely close together.