1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics summation question:

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    This equation comes out of deriving the canonical partition function for some system. However, the question is more math based. I am having trouble understanding the simplification that was performed in the text:

∑ from N=0 to M of: (M!exp((M-2N)a))/(N!(M-N)!) supposedly becomes

exp(Ma)(1+exp(-2a))^M.... I tried to look at the first few terms and see how I can simplify this, and no dice... Anyone have any ideas? a is just a constant.

Also, the next step is that the above becomes (2cosh(a))^M Which is great, except, huh? I'm more of a scientist than a math person, so I apologize if I am missing something elementary.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Remember that

[tex]
    \sum_{n=0}^m \frac{m!}{n!(m-n)!} 1^{(m-n)} b^n = (1 + b)^m
    [/tex]

In your sum
    [tex]
    \exp\left((M-2N)a\right) = \exp\left(Ma\right) \cdot \left(\exp(-2a)\right)^N
    [/tex]

so your sum is

[tex]
    \sum_{N=0}^M {\frac{M!}{N!(M-N)!} \exp\left((M-2N)a\right)}
    = e^{Ma} \sum_{N=0}^M {\frac{M!}{N!(M-N)!} \left(e^{-2a}\right)^N
    = e^{Ma} \left(1 + e^{-2a}\right)^M
    [/tex]

For the second one - look at the definition of the hyperbolic function as exponentials, and rearrange terms.

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    Thanks so much!! That really clears things up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?