1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics word problem

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Is the follow problem complete? The professor is notorious for giving problems without the complete information by mistake.

A optical firm purchases glass for lenses, and it is known from past experience that the variance of the refractive index of this kind of glass is 1.26x10^-4. Since it is important that the pieces of glass have nearly the same index of refraction, the firm rejects a shipment if the sample variance of 20 pieces selected at random exceeds 2x10^4. Assuming that the sample values is a random variable from a normal population, determine the probability that a shipment will be rejected even though the variance = 1.26x10^-4.

If it is complete, any advise about how to start the problem? If I had the mean at least I think I could use normal distribution, but as it is, I'm not sure how to start it with just the variance given.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?