1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

StatMech: Binomial approximation

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question requires me to approximate binomial distribution to get poisson distribution.
    Show that N!/(N-n)!=N^n.

2. Relevant equations

N!/n!(N-n)! p^n q^(N-n)=Binomial distribution

3. The attempt at a solution

I expanded N!/(N-n)! and got: (N-1)(N-2)(N-3)....(N-n+2)(N-n+1). This didn't help me in getting the required approximation. So, then I wrote it as follows:( N-(n-(n-1)) ) ( N-( n- (n-2) ) )...( N-(n-2) ) ( N-(n-1) ).
    It seem to have further complicated the question.
    A little help please.:redface:
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at how the Stirling formula is derived ... it should be quite helpful.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    I looked at the stirling formula derivation but I don't know how it is helpful here.
    So I have solved it the other way.
    [N-(n-(n-0))] [N-(n-(n-1))] [N-(n-(n-2))] [N-(n-(n-3))]......[N-( n-(3) )][N-( n-(2) )][N-( n-(1) )]
    For N>>n, using this approximation once, I get n terms:
    [N-n] [N-n] [N-n] ...... [N-n] [N-n] [N-n]
    using the approximation again,
    [N] [N] [N] ......[N] [N] [N] =N^n

My question is can I use this approximation selectively like I did in the above two steps.
    Secondly, how was sterling formula derivation helpful? I used the x! formula and I get exponential(-n). Because n<<N, this term is big, making the entire answer zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted