Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stator ring construction, coil and connection question

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone:

I am trying to find a program or formula that will help me figure out how many windings, turns of coil, are needed per coil on a 6 coil steel stator ring powered by 3-phase AC power to get a certain magnetic field strength, about 1.3T. Is there any way that you could help me find out how many windings are needed per coil? Would I use the standard solenoid formula B=mu*N*L?

Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?
    If DC is better to create the rotating magnetic field, how would I connect the six coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to a DC power supply

Thanks so much for the help.
    Stephen

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted