What Are the Chances of Water Rationing Over a Decade in Southland?

In summary, statistics and probability are two distinct fields that are commonly used in scientific research. Statistics involves the collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation of data, while probability focuses on the likelihood of events occurring. These two concepts are widely applied in various fields such as finance, marketing, healthcare, and social sciences. However, there are some misconceptions about them, including assuming causation from correlation and disregarding sample size in statistical analysis. To improve understanding and use of statistics and probability, one can practice with real-life examples, stay updated on new research, and seek assistance from experts or online resources.
vipertongn
Water shortages require water rationing policies. From past records, we know that the probability that water needs to be rationed in a southland water district in any given year is 0.15. Assume that water rationing in consecutive years are independent events.

Let X be the number of years with water rationing in a sample of ten years. What is the expected (mean) number of years with water rationing in 10 years for a southland water district?
For this one E(X)=np=1.5 i think

What is the probability that there would be no water rationing in the next ten years?

I'm not sure how to calculate this...i know at least for one year it should be .85 is that right?

What is the probability that there would be water rationing in at least two of the next ten years?
I'm assuming this would be 2*.15

Physics news on Phys.org
vipertongn said:
Water shortages require water rationing policies. From past records, we know that the probability that water needs to be rationed in a southland water district in any given year is 0.15. Assume that water rationing in consecutive years are independent events.

Let X be the number of years with water rationing in a sample of ten years. What is the expected (mean) number of years with water rationing in 10 years for a southland water district?
For this one E(X)=np=1.5 i think

Yes. Do you recognize a binomial distribution here?

What is the probability that there would be no water rationing in the next ten years?

I'm not sure how to calculate this...i know at least for one year it should be .85 is that right?

Yes.

What is the probability that there would be water rationing in at least two of the next ten years?
I'm assuming this would be 2*.15

No. What is the probability for (A AND B) if A and B are independent?

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm reviewing this and i haven't gotten the answer for the last two really.
ok, I think for this case I calculate it first the probability of it actually not occurring, which is...
P(X=0)= 10C0*p^0(0.85)^10= 0.197

Which I hope is correct...

Then for the next one I calculate the probabilities of it occurring at LEAST 2 times by finding the probabilities of 1 and 2 happening and then adding them with the .197
P(X=1)=.35
P(X=2)=.27
so it would become about .83. For it to at least be occurring 1-.83 = .17 of 2 rationings occurring

I hope I'm correct

vipertongn said:
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm reviewing this and i haven't gotten the answer for the last two really.
ok, I think for this case I calculate it first the probability of it actually not occurring, which is...
P(X=0)= 10C0*p^0(0.85)^10= 0.197

Which I hope is correct...

Yes.

Then for the next one I calculate the probabilities of it occurring at LEAST 2 times by finding the probabilities of 1 and 2 happening and then adding them with the .197
P(X=1)=.35
P(X=2)=.27
so it would become about .83. For it to at least be occurring 1-.83 = .17 of 2 rationings occurring

I hope I'm correct

No. The complementary event to "at least two" is "zero or one". You just need to subtract the probabilities for 0 and 1.

What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics is the study of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data, while probability is the study of the likelihood of events occurring.

How are statistics and probability used in scientific research?

Statistics and probability are used to analyze data and make predictions based on the data collected. They are also used to test hypotheses and determine if results are statistically significant.

What are some common applications of statistics and probability?

Statistics and probability are used in a variety of fields, including finance, marketing, healthcare, and social sciences. They are also used in sports, gambling, and risk assessment.

What are some common misconceptions about statistics and probability?

Some common misconceptions about statistics and probability include thinking that correlation implies causation, assuming that rare events are impossible, and believing that sample size does not matter in statistical analysis.

How can one improve their understanding and use of statistics and probability?

One can improve their understanding and use of statistics and probability by practicing with real-life examples and data, staying updated on new research and techniques, and seeking assistance from experts or online resources.