1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stats help please

1. Mar 2, 2006 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and really need so help before I have a test tomorrow. I have been going over my book and working through the problems but I am stuck on this problem. Would someone please help me? thank you very much for your time

From a study
    average height of men =68in sd=2.7inch
    average forearm length=18in sd 1inch r=0.80

a) what percentage of men have forearms which are 18 inches long to the nearest inch? for this problem I figured out 38%

b) of the men who are 68inches tall, what percentage have forearms which are 18 inches long to the nearest inch?

I know that the nearest inch refers to 17.5 and 18.5 and the answer in the back of the book is 60% however, I do not know how they solve the problem to get 60%

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since I don't believe that "forearm length" and "height" are independent, I don't see any way to do this with knowing the correlation.

4. Mar 11, 2006 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder whether "r=0.80" in the OP stands for corr.

For indep. normal distributions, since sd = 1 for the forearm length, the question is, what is the probability around the mean plus/minus half a sd? You can look it up from a standard normal table (e.g. here). I believe 38.3%.

For correlated distributions you need to think about multivariate normal.

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    found the answer

Thank you for the replies, I already found a way to solve the problem.

r stands for coefficient correlation
    and the answer as I included is 60%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?