Solving Probability w/in 1 STD: Stats Problem Homework

• Thread starter rbailey5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary, To calculate the probability that a value is within one standard deviation, you can calculate z=1 minus z= -1 (where z = (x-m)/sigma) and use a z-table to find the probability.
rbailey5

Homework Statement

I am given a table of x and Probability of x an I have calculated the standard deviation and the variance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from here how do I calculate the probability that a value is within one standard deviation

Physics news on Phys.org
rbailey5 said:

Homework Statement

I am given a table of x and Probability of x an I have calculated the standard deviation and the variance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from here how do I calculate the probability that a value is within one standard deviation

calculate z=1 minus z= -1 (where z = (x-m)/sigma

What is the meaning of "Solving Probability w/in 1 STD: Stats Problem Homework"?

"Solving Probability w/in 1 STD" refers to using statistical methods to determine the likelihood of an event occurring within one standard deviation of the mean. This is often used in homework problems to test understanding of probability and statistics concepts.

How do you calculate probability within 1 standard deviation?

To calculate probability within 1 standard deviation, you need to know the mean and standard deviation of the data set. Then, you can use the empirical rule or normal distribution to determine the percentage of data that falls within one standard deviation of the mean.

What is the purpose of solving probability within 1 standard deviation?

The purpose of solving probability within 1 standard deviation is to understand the likelihood of an event occurring within a certain range of values. This can be useful in making predictions and analyzing data in various fields, such as finance, economics, and science.

What are some common methods for solving probability within 1 standard deviation?

Some common methods for solving probability within 1 standard deviation include using the z-score, the empirical rule, and the normal distribution. These methods use the mean and standard deviation to determine the percentage of data that falls within a certain range of values.

How can I improve my skills in solving probability within 1 standard deviation problems?

To improve your skills in solving probability within 1 standard deviation problems, it is helpful to practice using different methods, such as the z-score, the empirical rule, and the normal distribution. You can also review basic statistics concepts and work on developing your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.