Statistics Question: Calculating P(B U D)

• Thread starter adeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, A and B are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive events, as are C and D. Given that P(A) = 0.3, P(C/B) = 0.6, and P(D and A) = 0.20, we can determine P(B U D) to be equal to 0.7.
adeel
Hi, I need some help with a stats question:

A and B are two mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive events. C and D are also mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. Determine P(B U D) if P(A) = 0.3, P(C/B) = 0.6, and P(D and A) = 0.20. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you even need P(B | D). P(A) = 0.3 means P(B) = 0.7, and then you have what you need. It might help to draw a diagram.

What have u attempted so far? Have u found P(B)?

-- AI

well, I found P(B), which is 0.7. The point where I am stuck is finding either P(D) or P(C). Once i get those, I would be able to finish it.

I was also able to get P(C and B) = 0.42. P(D/A) = 0.67. After that, I can't seem to move any further. Help?

I'm not sure why you need P(D and A) = 0.2 or even P(A) = 0.3, unless my definition of "/" is wrong. Is "/" the difference?

I'm going to use "&" for intersection below. "^c" refers to the complement.

P(C/B) = 0.6 = P(C & B^c) = P(C & A).

P(C/B)^c = 0.4 = P((C&A)^c)) = P(C^c U A^c) = P(D U B)

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm not quite sure why the extra info is needed.

I think that / is read as "given," or |. P(C/B) = P(C|B) = P(C & B) / P(B)

You know that P(A & D) is 0.2. Since A & D and B are mutually exclusive (since A and B are mutually exclusive), what does P(B u (A & D)) equal numerically? And algebraically, what does it simplify to, working on the fact that A and B form a partition?

If he indeed meant "|", then he should have used that instead of "/". I think all modern keyboards have that character.

sorry that is what i mean. B given A for example. I just found the key. I didnt know the slash had some other meaning. Can u guys explain in words what u mean (referring to first response). I would also like clarification on the second persons response. I didnt really understand either one...

i guess jevnal what u wrote wouldn't apply, since I miscommunicated. Bicycletree, I've nver herad of partition or anything like that, can u explain?

I'm not sure why you need the conditional probability, actually (if I'm understanding the problem correctly). The other two probabilities seem to be enough information.

Draw a circle. Divide it in half vertically. The left is A, the right is B. Now, divide the circle in half horizontally. The top is C, the bottom is D. The four quadrants are:

A & C | B & C
----------------
A & D | B & D

The total of the four quadrant probabilities sum to 1. Also, the physical size of the quadrants in this diagram have nothing to do with the actual relative magnitudes of the probabilities.

You want to calculate the total of three of the quadrants (A&D, B&C, B&D). You are given P(A&D). Now you need P(B&D) + P(B&C). That should be pretty easy.

I think I understand where you are coming from, but I think the kicker is taht only A + B are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive, and then C + D are seperately mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. Is that that right approach?

How is that inconsistent with the picture I drew?

hmm i guess ure right, that does work. But, my question is, based on what I was trying to say earlier, wouldn't the probability of A + B = 1 and C + D = 1, instead of A+B+C+D = 1? I was thinking the diagram should be more like two circles (drawn like a Venn diagram) with a line dividing each in half.

It is indeed true that P(A)+P(B) = 1, and P(C) + P(D) = 1. And that is completely consistent with my diagram. My diagram does NOT say that P(A)+P(B)+P(C)+P(D) = 1. It says that P(A&C) + P(A&D) + P(B&C) + P(B&D) = 1.

All I did was take two separate diagrams and overlay them on each other to show that A can overlap with C and D, and B can overlap with C and D.

I would also suggest using a concrete example to make this clearer:

Start with the population of a city. Pick a person from that population.

P(A) = probability that person is a male
P(B) = probability that a person is a female

P(C) = probability that a person is younger than 30
P(D) = probability that person is older than or exactly 30.

juvenal said:
I'm not sure why you need the conditional probability, actually (if I'm understanding the problem correctly). The other two probabilities seem to be enough information.

Draw a circle. Divide it in half vertically. The left is A, the right is B. Now, divide the circle in half horizontally. The top is C, the bottom is D. The four quadrants are:

A & C | B & C
----------------
A & D | B & D

The total of the four quadrant probabilities sum to 1. Also, the physical size of the quadrants in this diagram have nothing to do with the actual relative magnitudes of the probabilities.

You want to calculate the total of three of the quadrants (A&D, B&C, B&D). You are given P(A&D). Now you need P(B&D) + P(B&C). That should be pretty easy.

I have A & D, and I can get B & C, but how can I get A & C?

i think i might be confused a bit, they want P(B U D). even if I get each quadrant, i wouldn't know the P(D), so how would I approach it?

Please read what I wrote more carefully. You don't seem to be. I said you just need P(B&D) + P(B&C). That is very easy to calculate, especially if you examine my diagram and reduce it to a simpler form.

I don't understand. Going back to what u said, u say I need the 3 quadrants, fine. But how can I get them? I've figured out B&C, but still need B&D. I am not seeing how I can easily get that...

No - you need the sum of (B&C) and (B&D). You don't need to calculate them separately.

Going back to my concrete example:

P(B&C) = probability that person is a female and under the age of 30
P(B&D) = probability that a person is a female and over or exactly the age of 30

What is P(B&C) + P(B&D)? Think about it.

I think you are focusing too much on the formulas, and less on the meaning.

wait, i think i see it. If P(A) = 0.3, then P(B) = 0.7. If P(B&C) = 0.42, then P(B&D) = 0.28, right?

Thanks, i get it now. Maybe u can confirm another question for me:

A device has three components and works as long as at least two are functional. Reliabilities of components are 0.9, 0.85, 0.95. What is the probability that the device will work when needed?

I thought that u figure out the probabilty where only one or none work, (one working would be (0.9 x 0.15 x 0.05 + 0.85 x 0.1 x 0.05 + 0.95 x 0.1 x 0.15, none working would be 0.1 x 0.15x 0.05) and all that up, and 1 - that tog et the answer, correct?

Also, i have another id appreciate if u check that I am going to type up...thanks

Last edited:
adeel said:
wait, i think i see it. If P(A) = 0.3, then P(B) = 0.7. If P(B&C) = 0.42, then P(B&D) = 0.28, right?

That is correct.

adeel said:
Thanks, i get it now. Maybe u can confirm another question for me:

A device has three components and works as long as at least two are functional. Reliabilities of components are 0.9, 0.85, 0.95. What is the probability that the device will work when needed?

I thought that u figure out the probabilty where only one or none work, (one working would be (0.9 x 0.15 x 0.05 + 0.85 x 0.1 x 0.05 + 0.95 x 0.1 x 0.15, none working would be 0.1 x 0.15x 0.05) and all that up, and 1 - that tog et the answer, correct?

Also, i have another id appreciate if u check that I am going to type up...thanks

That looks correct.

(I'm not sure I'll be around to answer your next question, but I'm sure someone will at some point).

You don't need the conditional at all. P(B) = 0.7, P(A&D) = 0.2, so P(B u D) = 0.2 + 0.7 = 0.9.

P(B u D) = P(B) + P(~B & D) with ~ for complement of
= P(A & D)

1. What does P(B U D) stand for in statistics?

P(B U D) is a notation for the probability of event B or event D occurring, or both events occurring together. This is known as the union of events B and D.

2. How do you calculate the probability of P(B U D)?

To calculate P(B U D), you can use the formula P(B U D) = P(B) + P(D) - P(B ∩ D), where P(B) and P(D) are the individual probabilities of events B and D, and P(B ∩ D) is the probability of both events occurring together.

3. Can P(B U D) be greater than 1?

No, the probability of P(B U D) cannot be greater than 1. This is because the maximum probability of any event occurring is 1, and the union of events B and D represents the possibility of either one or both events occurring, which cannot have a probability greater than 1.

4. How is P(B ∩ D) related to P(B) and P(D)?

P(B ∩ D), also known as the intersection of events B and D, is the probability of both events occurring together. It is related to P(B) and P(D) by the formula P(B ∩ D) = P(B) * P(D|B), where P(B) is the probability of event B occurring and P(D|B) is the conditional probability of event D occurring given that event B has already occurred.

5. Can P(B U D) be negative?

No, the probability of P(B U D) cannot be negative. This is because probabilities represent the likelihood of an event occurring, and it cannot have a negative value. If the calculation for P(B U D) results in a negative value, it is likely that there is an error in the calculations.