Stats problems, have work and answer shown

In summary, to find the level L such that there is a probability of 0.05 for the mean glucose level of 4 test results to fall above it, we use the formula x = u + z * r, where x is the desired level, u is the mean, and r is the standard deviation. The value of z can be found using a normal distribution table or a calculator, and in this case is 1.645. Substituting the values, we get L = 125 + 1.645 * 10 = 140.45 mg/dl. The number 4 does not affect this calculation.
deaky220

Homework Statement

the q is , Sheilas measure glucose level one hour after a sugary drink varies according to the normal distribution (u= 125 mg/dl) and r=10 mg/dl. What is the level L such that there is a probability only 0.05 that the mean glucose level of 4 test results falls above L?

Homework Equations

i used x= u(mew) + z * r

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a backwards normal calculation of x= 125 + .5199 (from table A probs) * 10 = 130.199

i think its right but i dunno, does the 4 play a part in my equation or is this the wrong way to do it? ANY information would be helpful

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. Your approach seems to be correct. To find the level L, you need to use the formula x = u + z * r, where x is the desired level, u is the mean, and r is the standard deviation. The value of z can be found using a normal distribution table or a calculator.

In this case, since the probability of the mean glucose level falling above L is 0.05, the value of z would be 1.645 (found using a normal distribution table). Substituting the values, we get L = 125 + 1.645 * 10 = 140.45 mg/dl.

The number 4 does not play a role in this equation as it represents the number of test results. The question is asking for the level L, which is the same for any number of test results.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the purpose of using statistics in research?

Statistics is used in research to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and draw conclusions based on evidence. It helps scientists identify patterns, trends, and relationships in data to better understand the world around us.

2. How do you calculate the mean, median, and mode?

To calculate the mean, add all of the numbers in a data set and divide by the total number of values. To find the median, arrange the data in ascending order and find the middle value. If there are an even number of values, take the average of the two middle values. The mode is the most frequently occurring value in a data set.

3. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation is a measure of the relationship between two variables, while causation is the ability of one variable to cause a change in another. Just because two variables are correlated does not necessarily mean that one causes the other. It is important to conduct further research to determine if a causal relationship exists.

4. How do you determine the standard deviation of a data set?

The standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the values in a data set are from the mean. To calculate it, first find the mean of the data set. Then, subtract the mean from each value, square the differences, add them together, divide by the total number of values, and take the square root of the result.

5. When should you use a t-test versus an ANOVA?

A t-test is used to compare the means of two independent groups, while an ANOVA is used to compare the means of three or more independent groups. If you are only comparing two groups, a t-test is appropriate. If you are comparing three or more groups, an ANOVA should be used.