Are Independence and Disjoint Events the Same in Probability?

• Thread starter mikeyman2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary: Anyway, in summary, the question requires understanding the difference between independence and disjoint events. The answer to the question is no because the two events are not mutually exclusive or independent. However, the explanation of why it is not true is more relevant when considering independence rather than disjoint events. This is because the statement "If A and B are independent events, then Prob(A and B) = Prob(A) * Prob(B)" is a fundamental concept in statistics.
mikeyman2010
I'm working on a question which requires you to understand the difference between Independence and disjoint events. The question is: Suppose 24% of a population have 4 years of college, and 15% are laborers/workers. From this, can you conclude that 0.24 x 0.15 = 0.036=3.6% of the population are laborers or workers who had 4 years of college?

a) No, because the two events are not mutually exclusive (Disjoint Events).
b) No, because the two events are not independent.

My teacher says that technically, the two answers are right, but one explains the question give better than the other. Can anyone explain to me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's something I have learned when I am young. I don't think it is a stat. question.
For 10 people, 1 learned Eng. ,1 learned Maths
Can you conclude that only 1 people have studied before?

but then what is the difference between independence and disjoint events?

primaryguns response is completely meaningless- ignore it.

One of the things you should have learned in statistics is:

"If A and B are independent events then Prob(A and B)= Prob(A)*prob(B)".

Thus, "No because A and B are not independent" is more relevant than "No because A and B are not mutually disjoint". It happens that A and B are NOT mutually disjoint but that is not the reason the statement is untrue.

HallsofIvy said:
primaryguns response is completely meaningless- ignore it.

OOOO Harsh :-D

Hey, it was just a warning to "mikeyman2010".

1. What is the purpose of statistics?

The purpose of statistics is to collect, analyze, and interpret data in order to make informed decisions or draw conclusions about a population or phenomenon.

2. What are the two main types of statistics?

The two main types of statistics are descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and organizing data, while inferential statistics involve making predictions or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data.

3. What is the difference between a population and a sample?

A population is the entire group of individuals or items that a researcher is interested in studying, while a sample is a subset of the population that is used to gather data and make inferences about the larger population.

4. How do you calculate measures of central tendency?

Measures of central tendency, such as mean, median, and mode, are calculated by adding up all of the values in a data set and then dividing by the number of values. The mean is the sum of all values divided by the number of values, the median is the middle value when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order, and the mode is the most frequently occurring value.

5. How do you determine the spread of data?

The spread of data can be determined by calculating measures of variability such as range, variance, and standard deviation. Range is the difference between the smallest and largest values in a data set, variance is the average of the squared differences from the mean, and standard deviation is the square root of the variance.