Probability of Acceptance for Container Loads at Shedz

In summary, the conversation discusses Shedz's process of examining trays in pallets to determine their quality and the use of cluster sampling to select trays. The first part calculates the probability of accepting two successive loads with 1% and 2% defective trays, given n=50. The second part determines the largest value of n for a 94% chance of accepting a load with 1% defective trays. The second section discusses the use of cluster sampling to select 24 trays from 20 pallets and compares it to simple random sampling in terms of advantages and disadvantages.
Paulo2014

Homework Statement

(a) Shedz buys its trays in pallets by the container load. As each container arrives, n trays are examined
to assess whether or not the load of trays is of acceptable quality. The load is accepted if there is no
more than one defective tray in the sample.
(i) For two successive loads, 1% and 2% of the trays were defective, respectively.
If n = 50 for each load, find the probability that at least one of these two loads was accepted.
(ii) If 1% of the trays are defective in a load, find the largest value of n which ensures there is
approximately a 94% chance of the load being accepted.
(b) Each pallet consists of 180 trays stacked in 30 levels, with six trays arranged as a 3 by 2 rectangle at
each level.
(i) Describe how cluster sampling could be used to select 24 trays from a container load of 20
pallets.
(ii) Give one advantage and one disadvantage of using cluster sampling in this situation,
compared with simple random sampling.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the first part has something to do with binomial probability, but I'm not sure how to apply it.

I can provide some insights and suggestions for the given content.

(a) The probability of acceptance for container loads at Shedz depends on the number of defective trays in the sample. In order to calculate the probability, we need to use the binomial distribution formula.

(i) For the first load, n = 50 and the probability of a defective tray is 1%. Therefore, the probability of accepting the load is:

P(accept) = 1 - P(defective) = 1 - (0.01) = 0.99

For the second load, n = 50 and the probability of a defective tray is 2%. Therefore, the probability of accepting the load is:

P(accept) = 1 - P(defective) = 1 - (0.02) = 0.98

Now, to find the probability that at least one of these two loads was accepted, we can use the formula for the union of two events:

P(at least one load accepted) = P(accept first load) + P(accept second load) - P(both loads accepted)

= 0.99 + 0.98 - (0.99)(0.98)

= 0.9998

Therefore, there is a 99.98% chance that at least one of these two loads was accepted.

(ii) To find the largest value of n which ensures a 94% chance of acceptance, we can use the inverse binomial distribution function. We know that the probability of acceptance is 0.94 and the probability of a defective tray is 0.01. Therefore, we can solve for n using the following equation:

0.94 = 1 - (0.01)^n

n = ln(0.06)/ln(0.99)

n ≈ 241 trays

Therefore, if n is at least 241 trays, there is approximately a 94% chance of the load being accepted.

(b) Cluster sampling is a sampling technique in which the population is divided into clusters and a random sample is taken from each cluster.

(i) In this situation, we can divide the container load into 20 clusters, each cluster representing one pallet. Then, we can randomly select 24 trays from each cluster to get a total sample size of 480 trays.

(ii) The advantage of using cluster sampling is that it is more

What is the probability of acceptance for container loads at Shedz?

The probability of acceptance for container loads at Shedz is dependent on various factors, such as the current capacity of the warehouse, the type of goods being shipped, and the availability of storage space. It is difficult to provide a specific probability without more information.

How is the probability of acceptance calculated at Shedz?

The probability of acceptance at Shedz is calculated by considering the number of containers currently in the warehouse, the maximum storage capacity, and the estimated arrival time of new containers. This information is used to determine if there is enough space to accept a new container.

What factors can affect the probability of acceptance at Shedz?

The probability of acceptance at Shedz can be affected by various factors, such as the current capacity of the warehouse, the type of goods being shipped, and the availability of storage space. Additionally, unexpected events such as delays in shipments or a sudden increase in demand can also impact the probability of acceptance.

Is there a maximum limit on the number of containers that can be accepted at Shedz?

Yes, Shedz has a maximum storage capacity and can only accept a certain number of containers at a given time. This limit is determined by the size of the warehouse and the type of goods being stored. If the warehouse is at full capacity, new containers may not be accepted until space becomes available.

How accurate is the probability of acceptance at Shedz?

The accuracy of the probability of acceptance at Shedz depends on the accuracy of the information used to calculate it. If all factors are known and considered, the probability of acceptance can be relatively accurate. However, unexpected events and changes in demand may affect the accuracy of the prediction.