What is the current status of asymptotic safety?

In summary: The paper looks at some of the updates to the theory of everything and how they may impact the feasibility of AS.In summary, the paper discusses the possibility that the theory of everything may be incomplete and that some of the assumptions made in earlier iterations of the theory may not be valid, which could impact the feasibility of AS.
the_pulp
Hi everybody, I guess most of you know of the 2009 higgs mass prediction. Nevertheless there has been important changes in the top quark mass estimations. So I wanted to know:
1 if there is any update on that prediction and if it is still in good agreement with the Higgs mass?
2 if there is at least possibility of good agreement with cosmological constant, dark matter, etc.
Just to sum up, if AS is still a possibility or not.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that the two questions were very clear! Does anyone have any feedback?

Thanks in advance

There were many Higgs mass predictions, more than one per GeV in the most interesting range, and more than 20 were compatible with the actual Higgs mass.
Which prediction do you mean?

• mH = 126.3 ± 2.2 GeV Authors: Shaposhnikov & C. Wetterich (2009) Idea: Assume that gravity is asymptotically safe, that there are no intermediate energy scales between the Fermi and Planck scales, that the gravity induced anomalous dimension of the Higgs selfcoupling is positive. Techniques: renormalisation group flow with mt = 171.2 GeV

I thought it was clear from the title. Sorry!
Anyway, as I think that mt estimation should have changed by now, I was wondering if this sort of prediction still holds.
Also I wanted to know if there is any tension between AS and something else beyond SM (Dark Matter, Cosmological Constant, Inflation, Neutrinos, whatever)

Thanks!

Thanks for this response. Nevertheless the FAQ is from 2012 and my question was about impact en the feasibility of AS given the updates (many of them, after 2012) in the estimation of the masses of the Higgs and the Top particles.

Thanks for bringing this thread to life again!

Likes Urs Schreiber

1. What is asymptotic safety?

Asymptotic safety is a theory in physics that proposes a way to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that at very high energies, the gravitational force becomes weaker and eventually disappears, preventing singularities from forming. It is based on the idea that the fundamental properties of the universe are scale-invariant, meaning they do not change with distance.

2. How does asymptotic safety differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

Unlike other theories of quantum gravity, which attempt to quantize the gravitational force, asymptotic safety focuses on the behavior of the gravitational force at high energies. It does not require the existence of extra dimensions or the modification of general relativity at small scales.

3. What is the evidence for asymptotic safety?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for asymptotic safety. However, it is supported by mathematical calculations and theoretical arguments. In particular, it has been shown to be consistent with the observed behavior of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider.

4. What are the potential implications of asymptotic safety?

If asymptotic safety is confirmed, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It would provide a new framework for unifying quantum mechanics and general relativity, and could potentially help explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.

5. Are there any challenges to the theory of asymptotic safety?

As with any scientific theory, there are still many challenges and open questions surrounding asymptotic safety. One major challenge is the lack of experimental evidence, as it is currently difficult to test the theory directly. Additionally, there are still many mathematical and theoretical complexities that need to be addressed to fully understand and validate the theory.