Status of Teleportation Research?

In summary, this teleportation thing is good only for transfering lots of data, but not at speeds greater he speed of light. Also, the process of teleportation requires the use of a mediating particle and the creation of entanglement.
Ulnarian
A few years ago I read an interesting article about a group of physicists who managed to teleport a photon across their labratory using quantum entanglement. Does anyone know if this is an ongoing field of research, and, if so, do you know the status of it or where I may find some useful information regarding the current status of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

this teleportation thing is good only for transfering lots of data, but not at speeds greater he speed of light (you can transfer all the data about the particle at one point to the other point).
but you have to send a signal about the particle you measured at point one and apply the treatment to the entangled particle at point two to get the exact particle from point one.

another problem is that entangled particles are both created at the "same place" as far as i know, so you have to transfer the entangled particle to point two from point one by normal means anyway...
(correct me if I am wrong here, can you create entanglement between two distant particles?)

fargoth said:
another problem is that entangled particles are both created at the "same place" as far as i know, so you have to transfer the entangled particle to point two from point one by normal means anyway...
(correct me if I am wrong here, can you create entanglement between two distant particles?)

It's true that entangled states are created through mutual interaction. However, entangled states can be swapped such as in quantum relays. A quantum relay essentially takes a pair of correlations A<->B and C<->D and produce a correlation A<->D.

http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2004/022504/Simple_optics_make_quantum_relay_022504.html"

Partially entangled states can also be purified. The process is performed localy on only one member of the entangled pair.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/02/010226072054.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
fargoth said:
http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

this teleportation thing is good only for transfering lots of data, but not at speeds greater he speed of light (you can transfer all the data about the particle at one point to the other point).
but you have to send a signal about the particle you measured at point one and apply the treatment to the entangled particle at point two to get the exact particle from point one.

Yes, entanglement can be "created" between two distant particles, let's remember that the universe is entangled. If I were to take point 1 and do something to it, point 2 would be going through the same experiment, no matter how far, an entangled particle is an entangled particle.

Glenn Rudge said:
Yes, entanglement can be "created" between two distant particles, let's remember that the universe is entangled. If I were to take point 1 and do something to it, point 2 would be going through the same experiment, no matter how far, an entangled particle is an entangled particle.

Your statement here requires some qualifications that, for all practical purposes, legitimizes fargoth's stated limitation. Consider one of the strongest cases I know of for creating entanglement between separable particles: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0411048"

[PLAIN said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0411048]It[/PLAIN] is well known that entanglement can be created on two distant qubits by sending a mediating (ancilla) particle between them, and many multi-qubit quantum information transmission protocols are based on this kind of entanglement creation [11, 12]. One may expect that the ancilla necessarily becomes entangled with the system. However, from the above analysis, the scheme proved that the ancilla C can never entangled with the two data qubits AB although we used the interactions between C and AB.

So even though entanglement can be created between two distant particles, regardless of the entanglement status of the mediation particle, a mediation particle is still required to physically interact with one to be entangled particle and physically travel to interact with the partner to be entangled particle.

Perhaps you can justify the statement: the universe is entangled. The Universe was after all presumably all in the same location at some point in the past. It could also be argued that collapsing wavefunctions (interactions) hasn't undone these correlations in the interim. After all when a measurement is made collapsing the wavefunction it did not collapse from a third perspective which has yet to be capable of measuring the outcome. From that third perspective the measuring device and the system being measured simply became entangled themselves. Yet none of these generalities is useful wrt entanglements we can actually create and study.

Another method by which you can seemingly create correlations between distant particles involves relativistic quantum information theory. Simply boosting a particle can create entanglement in conjugate properties that did not exist before.

http://focus.aps.org/story/v10/st29"

[PLAIN said:
http://focus.aps.org/story/v10/st29]Of[/PLAIN] course, you don't really start out with nothing. The strange effect occurs only if the particle pair starts out entangled in a set of traits that aren't being measured.

You can create entanglement through interference effects. Also it isn't necessary that the photon pair are emitted by the same source ss long as the which-path information is erased.

Chinese Research of Teleportation

A google search of "teleportation" and "research" quickly led me to a paper by
an Eric W. Davis of Warp Drive Metrics, 4849 San Rafael Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89120
titled "Teleportation Physics Study" of August 2004. Although I could not find Warp Drive Metrics on the internet (perhaps it no longer exists), the paper reference:

Banghui, W. (1990) "Evidence of the Existence of Abnormal States of Matter",
Chinese Journal of Somatic Science, First Issue, Chinese Journal of Somatic Science, First Issue, 36 (translated into English by the Defense Intelligence Agency)

Jinggen, H., Xianghai, Y., and Laijng, S. (1990) "Investigation into the Force in Parapsychological Writing", Chinese Journal of Somatic Science, First Issue, 32
(translated into English by the Defense Intelligence Agency)

Kongzhi, S., Xianggao, L. and Liangzhong, Z. (1990) "Research into Paranormal Ability to Break Through Spatial Barriers", Chinese Journal of Somatic Science, First Issue, 22 (translated into English by the Defense Intelligence Agency)

Defense Intelligence Agency http://www.dia.mil/

So, at least the DIA exists. Does anyone have access to this Chinese journal, say, via an interlibrary loan?
I am suspicious about this being the "first issu" of this journal for all 3 papers.
It's as if the Chinese started this journal specifically for this type of research.
However, there is no logical reason that would detract from the results.

Davis's paper describes the repeated, unexplainable, and rigorously controlled Chinese experiments in which physical objects were passed through sealed containers to a distance of several meters. Sometimes instaneously, sometimes with a delay of 5 minutes or so.

Have these experiments been repeated in the United States in open laboratories?

As far as I know, teleportation (in the QM sense) is about transferring the state of one particle to another particle. You cannot teleport one particle to some place where no particle was before, and certainly not faster than light.

What is teleportation?

Teleportation is the hypothetical ability to transfer matter or energy from one point to another without physically traveling through the space in between.

Has teleportation been successfully achieved?

No, teleportation has not been successfully achieved in humans or objects. Current research focuses on quantum teleportation, which involves the transfer of quantum states rather than physical matter.

What is the current status of teleportation research?

The current status of teleportation research is still in its early stages. While there have been successful experiments with quantum teleportation, the technology is not yet advanced enough for practical applications.

What are the potential applications of teleportation?

If teleportation is ever successfully achieved, it could have a wide range of applications in fields such as transportation, healthcare, and communication. It could potentially revolutionize the way we travel, diagnose and treat diseases, and communicate with others.

What are the ethical implications of teleportation?

There are many ethical considerations surrounding teleportation, as it could potentially change the way we view and interact with the world. Some of these include issues of privacy, security, and the impact on social and cultural norms.