Stay an Extra Year in School: Benefits & Impact

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the speaker is considering staying an extra year in school to take additional math, engineering, and computer courses. They are concerned if this would negatively affect their grad school or job application. The other person reassures them that taking an extra year is common and what matters is doing well in the courses. The speaker plans to stay for two reasons: to boost their GPA and gain skills in computer programming and engineering.
Winzer
Supposing that I don't have to worry about my finances I would like to stay an extra year in school. There are additional math, engineering , and computer courses that I think would really benefit me. Would this look bad for a grad school app or job?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Lots of students take an extra year, often because somewhere along the line they may have needed some time to figure out which path they were going to take. What matters is that you do well in the courses you take.

I figure I would stay for two reasons:
1) Boost my GPA
I don't mean taking foo foo courses, they would all be engineering, physics courses, or computer courses. Second semester sophomore year I overloaded myself with 2 engineering courses 2 physics courses, a lab course, and 2 math courses. I paid dearly with C's.
2) Gain skills
The computer programming courses would really benefit me in addition to the engineering courses.

1. What are the benefits of staying an extra year in school?

Staying an extra year in school can have numerous benefits, such as giving students more time to explore their interests, gain additional knowledge and skills, and improve their academic performance. It can also provide opportunities for internships, research projects, and networking, which can enhance their future career prospects.

2. How does staying an extra year in school impact a student's academic performance?

Staying an extra year in school can positively impact a student's academic performance by allowing them to take more challenging courses, receive additional support from teachers and tutors, and have more time to study and prepare for exams. It can also give students the chance to retake courses or improve their grades in specific subjects.

3. Does staying an extra year in school affect a student's social life?

While staying an extra year in school may require students to make adjustments to their social life, such as missing out on certain events or activities, it can also provide opportunities for students to make new friends, participate in extracurricular activities, and develop new interests. Additionally, the extra year in school can help students build a stronger resume and make them more competitive in the job market.

4. Can staying an extra year in school be financially beneficial?

Staying an extra year in school can be financially beneficial in the long run, as it can lead to higher-paying job opportunities and a more stable career. Additionally, some schools may offer financial aid or scholarships specifically for students staying an extra year. Students can also use the extra year to work part-time or pursue internships, which can help cover their expenses.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to staying an extra year in school?

One potential drawback of staying an extra year in school is the additional cost, as students may need to pay for tuition, housing, and other expenses. It may also delay their entry into the workforce and require them to put off other plans or goals. Additionally, some students may feel burnt out or lose motivation to continue their studies for another year. However, the benefits of staying an extra year often outweigh these potential drawbacks.