Stay over night in a supposed haunted house

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Someone has dared me to stay over night in a supposed haunted house, the
house is remote and i would be taken there and given a candle for light, the house hasn't been lived in for several years, would you do it ?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Is the heat on and does the toilet work? If so, sure! :biggrin:
 
  • #3
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Moonbear said:
Is the heat on and does the toilet work? If so, sure! :biggrin:
There is no electricity, i don't know about the toilet, or what condition the house is in.
 
  • #4
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,697
673
I'd have to know more about it than what you have given.
 
  • #5
17
0
One would think those who dared you to stay over will also enact a variety of schemes to enhance your experience....

If the elements of cleanliness, some decent lighting, a good read, an MP3 player, and lots of pizza are provided, I'll do it for you. :biggrin:
 
  • #6
1,085
6
I'd do it.
 
  • #7
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
ron damon said:
One would think those who dared you to stay over will also enact a variety of schemes to enhance your experience....
If the elements of cleanliness, some decent lighting, a good read, an MP3 player, and lots of pizza are provided, I'll do it for you. :biggrin:
The only light allowed will be a candle, i guess you could have cold pizza :smile:
i also doubt the house will be verry clean but i don't know yet.
 
  • #8
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Averagesupernova said:
I'd have to know more about it than what you have given.
The house was for a farm worker, but now casual workers provide all the labour
so the house has stood empty since the last occupant moved on, it is two up
two down brick built, about 300yds from the road up a track way, and some three miles from the nearest village, that is all i know.
 
  • #9
500
0
What's in it for you if you decide to do it?
 
  • #10
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
moose said:
What's in it for you if you decide to do it?
My pride, i told several people i wouldn't be scared to do some thing like this, so
they went out of their way to find a haunted house to test me :grumpy:
 
  • #11
863
4
It's one night...can't really be any harder than staying up all night doing homework.
 
  • #12
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,242
225
wolram said:
My pride, i told several people i wouldn't be scared to do some thing like this, so they went out of their way to find a haunted house to test me :grumpy:
Why do they think the house is haunted? If, for example, every visitor over the last two years was found dead, that could be a negative.
 
  • #13
17
0
Yeah, in what way is the house "haunted"? More than anything else, it seems to me the challenge will be dealing with the dirt and insects. And the pranks.
 
  • #14
Personally I would want a better light source.

And yes, what sort of phenomena have occured to make your friends believe this house is haunted?
 
  • #15
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Ivan Seeking said:
Why do they think the house is haunted? If, for example, every visitor over the last two years was found dead, that could be a negative.
I think it is only old wives tales, it seems several farm workers had moved into the house over the years but left rather quickly, finding council accomodation
instead, i am told the house came with job, so paying for council rent seems
odd, i don't know the house or anyone that has lived in it so i don't know if
any of this is true.
 
  • #16
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
ron damon said:
Yeah, in what way is the house "haunted"? More than anything else, it seems to me the challenge will be dealing with the dirt and insects. And the pranks.
If i take up the dare i will place trip wires across the track way with tin cans on
or any thing i can find.:smile:
 
  • #17
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,314
3
Friends and I found a haunted house, and started cleaning it up so we can throw a huge party in it.

I forgot why we ruled it out (maybe the foundation was just too poor).

Anyways, we went there anytime of day or night (the latest being probably around 2-3am). None of us flinched for being the first one to open the door. It was just like walking into Timmy's.
 
  • #18
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
wolram said:
If i take up the dare i will place trip wires across the track way with tin cans on
or any thing i can find.:smile:
I'd recommend claymores.
Seriously, I'd check out the structural integrity during daylight. No such thing as ghosts, but a rotten floor could take the joy out of the experience.
 
  • #19
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Danger said:
I'd recommend claymores.
Seriously, I'd check out the structural integrity during daylight. No such thing as ghosts, but a rotten floor could take the joy out of the experience.
I think i wont bother to take up the dare, it seems a bit childish now, on the other hand if i can take my shot gun and make clear i will shoot at anything
that moves, i wonder if the dare will stand. :biggrin:
 
  • #20
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
And I'd request a flashlight and enough batteries to keep it on through the night instead of a candle. The last thing you want to do is knock a candle over in an old, dark building that probably has lots of very dry woodwork in it.

I wouldn't want to spend the night in a place without any running water or heat though...maybe if it was summer time and you could head outside to take care of "business." I wouldn't be worried about ghosts, but wouldn't be keen on spending a night with nothing much to do in a cold, musty old house.
 
  • #21
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
Moonbear said:
And I'd request a flashlight and enough batteries to keep it on through the night instead of a candle. The last thing you want to do is knock a candle over in an old, dark building that probably has lots of very dry woodwork in it.

I wouldn't want to spend the night in a place without any running water or heat though...maybe if it was summer time and you could head outside to take care of "business." I wouldn't be worried about ghosts, but wouldn't be keen on spending a night with nothing much to do in a cold, musty old house.
Its tother way round with me, being a country boy and all :smile: i have walked through the halt wood at the dead of night without soiling me briches though.
 
  • #22
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,697
673
JasonRox said:
Friends and I found a haunted house, and started cleaning it up so we can throw a huge party in it.
I forgot why we ruled it out (maybe the foundation was just too poor).
Anyways, we went there anytime of day or night (the latest being probably around 2-3am). None of us flinched for being the first one to open the door. It was just like walking into Timmy's.
So you were trespassing? Not a wise idea. I know people that would do things to you for it that would make being hassled by ghosts seem trivial.
 
  • #23
1,134
9
I wouldn't be goated into doing anything. But I would want to spend the night, just cause it sounds interesting. And yes, makeing sure the property owners knew I was there, would be a must.
 
  • #24
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
hypatia said:
I wouldn't be goated into doing anything. But I would want to spend the night, just cause it sounds interesting. And yes, makeing sure the property owners knew I was there, would be a must.
I think its the rats that would turn me off, there are all ways rats in these places, oh, and the man with the mask and axe is quite scary, or is it a chain
saw ? apart from that as long as i had some bacon butties to sustain me i would be quite happy, and may be a play boy mag. :biggrin:
 
  • #25
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,314
3
Averagesupernova said:
So you were trespassing? Not a wise idea. I know people that would do things to you for it that would make being hassled by ghosts seem trivial.
People don't carry guns in Canada. :biggrin:

Also, people need to relax and not be so uptight and stop power tripping.
 

Related Threads on Stay over night in a supposed haunted house

  • Last Post
2
Replies
38
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
9K
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
4K
Replies
7
Views
651
  • Last Post
9
Replies
202
Views
22K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
Replies
24
Views
6K
Top