1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Std in Xcode

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    std:: was not used in my previous experiences with programming in C/C++ but in xcode,it requires you to put 'std::' in front of both cout and cin. i get an error that reads 'cout' was not declared in scope. im sure it is something very trivial but in insights would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

C++ has the concept of "namespaces". In standard C++, all functions and global variables must be declared within some namespace. I hope you'll forgive me for not taking the time to write a long tutorial on namespaces when there is a lot of material about namespaces available already, for example with a Google search on "C++ namespaces".

After doing some reading, if you have specific questions, please feel free to ask here!

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    thanks for the help!

namespace was not a concept i remember from my programming classes so it was nice to learn something new. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?